The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to go on his first hunt?

If he's been introduced to gun shots.... Which I start with .22 at this age... But if he has been introduced to shotguns and is not spooked at all, no reason not to take him. However, I wouldn't try to work him AT ALL other than some leash training maybe... stay in the blind with me! I would carry my 12-18 week old to training sessions with the big dogs to do nothing but watch and get accustom to the people and environment. On the leash at ALL times. Really pays off down the road at the line on a hunt test or just around people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Take Him, why not he's a hunting dog, you say your going to fore-go shooting, and watch him, which is what everyone says your supposed to do . He's been around gun-fire and on a slow day there shouldn't be too much to put him in overload. Take him out, he might get a few birds, but most importantly, he'll get out, get some exposure in a controlled situation and He can start learning how to wait. As a hunting dog he'll be doing a lot of that, might as well start good habits with it now. Nothing like having a pup fall asleep at your feet, after watching the lights come on for the first time, puppy's need to get out and explore (to gain confidence), why can't he do that and perhaps retrieve a couple birds as well?

Puppies are Fun; I had the latest set out at the duck club @ 8 wks; they had a blast and learned so much about the duck club experience; even got to run off with a few birds . Had my older dog on Dove at 4mt, she brought back birds; Sure I had to watch her and make her behave but it was great times & memories I will treasure forever. Memories I wouldn't have if I had left the pups at home

Others can put their dog in a box until their 1.5+yrs, finishing up Masters, or whatever; Mine will always be out in the field gaining experience. But to each their own.
    X2.Take the pup, be in control of the situation and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    I hear ya. It's so danged situational, almost all situational on the guy that owns the pup.

And you're right - it's all about being careful, what not to do and most of all managing ones own expectations (which all think they're good at and few are).

Knothead RIP here at 4.6 months? First bird retrieved the Woodie. Dragged the certainly dispatched Goose back by the neck. Had little clue what he was doing but sure had fun.

Is that a silver lab?????
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Take Him, why not he's a hunting dog, you say your going to fore-go shooting, and watch him, which is what everyone says your supposed to do . He's been around gun-fire and on a slow day there shouldn't be too much to put him in overload. Take him out, he might get a few birds, but most importantly, he'll get out, get some exposure in a controlled situation and He can start learning how to wait. As a hunting dog he'll be doing a lot of that, might as well start good habits with it now. Nothing like having a pup fall asleep at your feet, after watching the lights come on for the first time, puppy's need to get out and explore (to gain confidence), why can't he do that and perhaps retrieve a couple birds as well?

Puppies are Fun; I had the latest set out at the duck club @ 8 wks; they had a blast and learned so much about the duck club experience; even got to run off with a few birds . Had my older dog on Dove at 4mt, she brought back birds; Sure I had to watch her and make her behave but it was great times & memories I will treasure forever. Memories I wouldn't have if I had left the pups at home

Others can put their dog in a box until their 1.5+yrs, finishing up Masters, or whatever; Mine will always be out in the field gaining experience. But to each their own.
    I agree with this. If its going to be slow and your not shooting have fun with him. Sit off to the side with him so he's not right next to the guns and let him watch and maybe get a few birds.

With my first dog I took him on a preserve quail hunt with my brother and his Shorthair. My pup was 3 months old. We stayed back a bit and when my brother killed a bird we did the retrieving. I kept him on a leash and made each retrieve as fun as possible. My pup had a blast and actually picked up 10 quail that morning. The last 4-5 birds he made actual 30-40 yard retrieves. He's been bonkers for birds ever since.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    That's just plain mean. It will be a new breed soon - Weimadoriansnickerdoodle. Has hunting bloodlines and everything. A retrieving machine. Took hand signals at 3 months. I only wish it wasn't my buddies dog. I'm stuck with plain Jane field trial stock.

Both dogs are now over the bridge. And that ain't me in the photo - I have better than a $5 haircut.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

My Black lab male is 6.5 months right now. Im shooting a shot gun around him now (started with primer poppers) and he is doing fine. I plan on taking him this season, probably in November or December ( he will be 9 months in December) I think he will do fine. The dog has the drive but most importantly I was very admit on obedience so he does really well for such a young pup. I would not even think about taking him hunting if he doesnt know SIT and STAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    I was gonna say , "nice Weim"....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I was gonna say , "nice Weim"....
    She was a very nice Pheasant dog - shot a lot of birds over that Weimaraner. Despite the bump here she was a master at moving with a bird.

Her understudy seems to be catching on as well.

We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    My Black lab male is 6.5 months right now. Im shooting a shot gun around him now (started with primer poppers) and he is doing fine. I plan on taking him this season, probably in November or December ( he will be 9 months in December) I think he will do fine. The dog has the drive but most importantly I was very admit on obedience so he does really well for such a young pup. I would not even think about taking him hunting if he doesnt know SIT and STAY.

If he's sitting with the pup and "controlling" the situation as it sounds he is, take the pup. If he was "hunting the pup", then the obedience should be a concern. Exposing the pup to as much as possible while controlling the situation helps develop confidence, calmness and control in any environment. The key is focus on the pup... Don't hunt.

image.jpg
    Last edited by mathewrodriguez; 09-18-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Add pic
    Matt Rodriguez

"The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare."

Use care and common sense. Keep a keen eye on pup and watch their demeanor. Keep a lead on pup at all times.
    My penny worth.

Edit to post. Hopefully your pup has been introduced already to fresh killed birds and feathers. Feathers are real bad on doves.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 09-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.