RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New from Ontario

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Cass 
#1 ·
Hi all I am new to the forum! I'm sure I am a bit of an odd ball here... I have an 8 month old English cocker named Jake. He is my first gun dog and there are no spaniel folks in my area but have been lucky enough to have found an amazing mentor who is a member on this board (krakadawn) to help guide me in my efforts to make a hunting (and perhaps trial/test) dog out of him! Glad to be here and I'm sure I will learn a ton.

#2 ·
Welcome from one Canuck to another! LOTS of great information here!

#5 ·
Glad you found this forum. I am sure you and your pup will do great. Looks like he is retrieving based on the picture. Are you going to teach him to do blinds? I am only asking because I watched a Cocker in the UK do a 50 yd blind in a training session and it was awesome to watch.

#8 ·
Welcome, us e Spaniel guys gotta stick together!!

#9 ·
Great! Nothing like taking a dog to its full potential.

#13 ·
Yes. The only difference so far is just her temperament and brains. Show her something once or twice and she picks right up on it, the downside is a poorly timed correction will set you back for months! She seems to have an almost contradictory temperament, soft yet stubborn and persistent, inquisitive and bold with cover yet when seeing something or someone for the first time she will often flee (while keeping one eye on the "scary" object) back to me and stand between my feet until see figures that the big bad thing really won't get her.
The hardest thing was getting her to run in a straight line while using just her eyes/memory and to not stop short and hunt with her nose. She is currently comfortable with hunting/retrieving out to around 80yrds. She is a year old and seemed to gain about 10 yrds a month with her comfort level, starting at 5 months of age.
Where did you get yours?

#14 ·
Sounds exactly like mine. He is so soft and any amount of pressure seems to shut him down but at the same time he is super stubborn and headstrong. I got Jake from Jim Karlovec of Flushing Star Kennels in Ohio. I haven't worked on real long marks but any that are farther then normal he does as you describe - stops short and then hunts like mad. He is a hard little hunter for not having any real formal training yet. He is hard to keep a handle on - he never stops and his only speed is all-out. I hope I can get some discipline into him and he isn't a terror forever. Here's a couple pics of him:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.