The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New from Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    You're not the only one

Attachment 15057Attachment 15058Attachment 15059Attachment 15060Attachment 15061She doesn't get her ducks too far off the ground, but she will deliver them to hand!
    Awesome! Did you train her the same as your Labs?

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    You're not the only one

Attachment 15057Attachment 15058Attachment 15059Attachment 15060Attachment 15061She doesn't get her ducks too far off the ground, but she will deliver them to hand!
    I watched Raina's spaniel run in an HRC hunt test last month! It was fun watching this little girls drive and intensity, especially when the ducks were almost bigger than her

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Yes. The only difference so far is just her temperament and brains. Show her something once or twice and she picks right up on it, the downside is a poorly timed correction will set you back for months! She seems to have an almost contradictory temperament, soft yet stubborn and persistent, inquisitive and bold with cover yet when seeing something or someone for the first time she will often flee (while keeping one eye on the "scary" object) back to me and stand between my feet until see figures that the big bad thing really won't get her.
    The hardest thing was getting her to run in a straight line while using just her eyes/memory and to not stop short and hunt with her nose. She is currently comfortable with hunting/retrieving out to around 80yrds. She is a year old and seemed to gain about 10 yrds a month with her comfort level, starting at 5 months of age.
    Where did you get yours?
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Sounds exactly like mine. He is so soft and any amount of pressure seems to shut him down but at the same time he is super stubborn and headstrong. I got Jake from Jim Karlovec of Flushing Star Kennels in Ohio. I haven't worked on real long marks but any that are farther then normal he does as you describe - stops short and then hunts like mad. He is a hard little hunter for not having any real formal training yet. He is hard to keep a handle on - he never stops and his only speed is all-out. I hope I can get some discipline into him and he isn't a terror forever. Here's a couple pics of him: