The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Possible unwanted dog pregnancy...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default Possible unwanted dog pregnancy...

    My 8.5 yo female is on day 7 of her heat cycle. I locked her up in the kennel in the basement
    before I left to go work yesterday evening and apparently my 5yo let her back out right before dark....
    I got home about 3 hours after she would have been let out of the kennel and noticed her down the street a few blocks chasing another lab...She had to jump the fence because the gate was locked when I came back. So I called her back and she came back and then she took off again in the same direction. I followed her but could not see the other dog again. Upon inspection back at the house the top of her back had some damp areas where I assume were the other dogs slobber from either rough play or u know what...she has had 2 litters the last one was 2 summers ago. What are my options right away? Can she be given a morning after pill/shot or can she be spayed will in heat safely? I plan on calling the vet right away this morning...both times she had litters
    it was on about day 16 of her cycle when she got pregnant.

  2. #2
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,207

    Default

    The "morning after" shot for dogs was proven to be VERY unsafe, and therefore, I know of no vets who will give it. You can abort the litter at 28 days. So keep track of your time on the calendar. Some vets will not abort the litter either, so you should call around. There are some risks involved as well. You may need to find a reproduction vet to have this option taken care of. The third option would be just to let her have the litter and find them home. This is the safest route, however ...... Finding homes for potential mixed breed puppies can be a challenge.

    We will keep our fingers crossed for you.
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member mitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    A progesterone test should tell you if she has ovulated yet. At ovulation, the progesterone levels begin to increase. If they are still baseline you may be ok. If they are elevated...uh oh.
    Renee P

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Can I have her spayed now before anything continues. I do not want any more kitters from her due to her age even if she is healthy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DEDEYE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alaska and Oregon
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Can I have her spayed now before anything continues. I do not want any more kitters from her due to her age even if she is healthy.
    Why don't you just call your vet......
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

    Yellow dogs rule the world!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Talked to my vet and he is going to spay her in 3 weeks after her swelling goes down. He doubts that she was even bred, but since I am not wanting to have any more litters it will be good to have her spayed. Thanks for the help.

  7. #7
    Senior Member windycanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    I took in a foster once who was locked up in a housing authority w/ her "brother" (I'm assuming littermate). They were taken to our HS, and the owners came and got the male but didn't want her back. She came here into foster since no one adopted her. My vet was scheduled to spay her, then got a bad case of the flu, so it put off the spay a bit. About that time I started seeing the "change"... I phoned the vet who is a friend, and she agreed to go ahead w/ the spay (I'm thinking the bitch was 5 wks along by then). All went well w/ the exception of a very upset technician who threatened to quit. I think they turned it into an eductional opportunity about rescues, inbreeding and the health risks/consequences. I would spay if it were my 8 yo possibly involved. Sounds like your vet has a good plan. Best of luck. Anne

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    134

    Default

    She had a healthy litter of 6 two summers ago and I actually tried a repeat breeding last spring with her (to keep one for myself), but the male showed no interest so I decided no more attempts. I should have had her spayed after last spring,...both times she has had pups she didn't let the male work until around day 15, so I am guessing that there was no actual tie, but I don't want to take the chance of her trying to have pups at her age, even though she acts like she is a young dog.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    I had a female get out and go gallivanting around the neighborhood early in her heat cycle. I had her first progesterone test done the same day as her adventure and she was very low. Vet said at the time it wasn't unheard of for semen to live 8+ days but that we'd probably be OK. 9 days and several progesterone tests later, she was bred to the chosen stud with the proviso that I'd DNA test the pups if there was any question of parentage. Well, no DNA test was needed: all 12 were definitely NOT Chesapeakes since they were black. We later found out the male we intentionally bred her to was sterile and the male she'd found (a coonhound) apparently, was very fertile.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  10. #10
    Senior Member JusticeDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Illinois/Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I had a female get out and go gallivanting around the neighborhood early in her heat cycle. I had her first progesterone test done the same day as her adventure and she was very low. Vet said at the time it wasn't unheard of for semen to live 8+ days but that we'd probably be OK. 9 days and several progesterone tests later, she was bred to the chosen stud with the proviso that I'd DNA test the pups if there was any question of parentage. Well, no DNA test was needed: all 12 were definitely NOT Chesapeakes since they were black. We later found out the male we intentionally bred her to was sterile and the male she'd found (a coonhound) apparently, was very fertile.
    you should have sold them as a rare designer breed!
    Susan

    FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •