The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GDG Come On Man!! GDG

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    ...... Or when some deaf fisherman decides to fish in the cove you're set up in and then casts in and amongst your decoys.
    I have set up, late season north of this spot at a place locals call the cow banks.
    Had a couple old timers come out fishing in back of me. Evert time I started working some birds they would start up the jiffy auger and start drilling more holes!!! I was kinda miffed
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    So today I am running errands and drive over the sandbar bridge from Milton (the T is silent) Vermont over to South Hero. This is the main (only) road from the south onto the islands. Traveled every day by hundreds or thousands of drivers. Is passes the sand bar wild life management area. Map below. I parked at the labeled boat launch you can see marked next to the blue binocular symbol and the sand bar state park. These is a line of buoys in the water that marks the separation refuge area and open hunting area. This line is clearly visible with binoculars from the viewing area. I had to stop and take a photo.

So this is the WMA state map

This is the photo I took
    How many duck blinds can you count?

and in this one I circled the duck blinds. I got 11 all stacked on top of one another and all visible from the main road.

[Come On Man!!!
    Geeze Ken-
    Appears to be a Pygmy civilization.
    Looks like a better place for,..well,..honoring (?)
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    So, maybe it's this. If I wanted to hunt a place like that, how would I keep folks from setting up right on top of me...

Simple, build 10 blinds in that small area, put automatic lights in each of them so they turn on opening day morning at 3AM. Then go into the one I want and let the veritable plethora of blinds keep the meek away.
    You jest, but I have actually done something similar. My buddies and I found a honey hole beaver pond on public land that was at the end of a cove on public land where folks were known to roar in in boats just before shooting time and set up right on top of you. So we got there via land at about 3 am and hung lights up in the trees all down the cove. Then we sat down and cooked breakfast and hung out until shooting time. It was fun to watch the boats come into the cove and decide to go somewhere else.

Had two people come over the backside(there was a beach on that side) of a jetty in Maine while we were seaduck hunting and ask if we had seen any seals. There were all decked out with their bino's hanging from there necks. I wanted so bad to say "yeah we saw a few but when we shot the little one the others all took off"

Ken, I can't believe how you publicly advertised and gave up someone's secret honey hole.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by SjSmith View Post
    Ken, I can't believe how you publicly advertised and gave up someone's secret honey hole.
    That's how you get rid of all the others. Keep posting how many hunters there are and how there are no ducks...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    That's how you get rid of all the others. Keep posting how many hunters there are and how there are no ducks...
    Ah ha, I'm seeing right thru his scheme now.
    Gotta get on the Vermont site now and get my license.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

This has been happening for years in Calle. A buddy and I took a survey of one of the fudges a few years back and everywhere there where ducks. they had a no hunting sign. We laughed our a** off.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    You jest, but I have actually done something similar. My buddies and I found a honey hole beaver pond on public land that was at the end of a cove on public land where folks were known to roar in in boats just before shooting time and set up right on top of you. So we got there via land at about 3 am and hung lights up in the trees all down the cove. Then we sat down and cooked breakfast and hung out until shooting time. It was fun to watch the boats come into the cove and decide to go somewhere else.

That was you? I wondered how so dang many people were already in there by 4AM:>
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-