The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Mental Health Care Reform

Default Mental Health Care Reform

In light of the Navy Yard Shooting I am sure there is going to be more calls for Gun Control. However in this case and many others like it there has been multiple opportunities to have prevented the incident if it were not for the lack of mental health services at any level of government. The need for it seems genuine with as many as 1 in 5 suffering from some form of mental health illness. The resources for vets returning with PTSD is sadly very overburdened. I have read multiple articles about how a lot of these people are dumped off at jails and hospitals that are not properly equipped to handle these people. If not that they are left to the world, where not only are they suffering, but also a threat to themselves and others.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

5150 psych hold could have stopped a lot of things especially when they are in contact with officers and hearing voices.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

PTSD is terrible. It is unpredictable. My mom was seeing a gentleman in the 80s who was in WWII. They went out to eat in a very nice restaurant that was an old 2 story house with a stone basement and stone stairs. Half way down the stairs he panicked and all he11 broke loose. Come to find out he had a flashback to his days in Germany.

I am not sure we even know how many of of service men and women have it. I was told by a soldier that works with the folks coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan that 33 of our service men and women commit suicide every day.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Here in Alabama they are reducing the beds in our mental illness hospitals and transferring patients to group homes in the community or putting them out on their own. The real test case (Wyatt v. Stickney) was here in Alabama in the mid-70's. We had horrible conditions in our state facilities. However, as we started to greatly improve them, so too was the birth of advocacy groups (like NAMI) which pitched for putting patients close to home. For various reasons, the advocacy groups won. We never achieved a balance between inpatient and outpatient care. The naval base shooter is a good example. If there had been a place for him, would he in fact been put in it? The current thinking is no ... until he'd committed some overt act like killing 12 people.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    In light of the Navy Yard Shooting I am sure there is going to be more calls for Gun Control. However in this case and many others like it there has been multiple opportunities to have prevented the incident if it were not for the lack of mental health services at any level of government. The need for it seems genuine with as many as 1 in 5 suffering from some form of mental health illness. The resources for vets returning with PTSD is sadly very overburdened. I have read multiple articles about how a lot of these people are dumped off at jails and hospitals that are not properly equipped to handle these people. If not that they are left to the world, where not only are they suffering, but also a threat to themselves and others.
    I have yet to see any evidence that he served in a war zone.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

His mother said he developed PTSD serving as a volunteer rescuer on 9/11.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

mental health care facilities are a lot like prisons, everyone is in favor of them but no one want them in their neighborhood, Here in Vegas they put a new facility in place,amid protests from the neighborhood...and it was across the street from a hospital
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Mental hospitals are few and far between. Many of the mentally ill, cannot be cured. Not all are dangerous, but no one really can tell, diagnostics are not 100% accurate. No easy answers, but something needs to be done and in the world today, Political Correctness will rule the day....meaning nothing substitutive will get done....symbolism over substance.