The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: new akc title

  1. #31
    Senior Member Lady Duck Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Sue, I was agreeing with you.

    I was disagreeing with those here who feel that the extra titles will be a factor in knowing how good a dog is, etc. and those who were saying that the extra titles would be helpful in picking a puppy.

    I see no reason for these extra titles. Once you have an MH on your dog he/she has proven that he/she can do the work.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

    The Lady

  2. #32
    Senior Member Golden Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Castalia Ohio
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Sue, I was agreeing with you.

    I was disagreeing with those here who feel that the extra titles will be a factor in knowing how good a dog is, etc. and those who were saying that the extra titles would be helpful in picking a puppy.

    I see no reason for these extra titles. Once you have an MH on your dog he/she has proven that he/she can do the work.
    I feel if the AKC and the retriever world was about improving the breeds and not about the money. They wouldn't come up with these new titles. They would say after your dog has failed a given number of tests and has not titled, that dog would be unable to run hunt tests at that level, or the dog would only be able to run under a limited reg. and unbreedable. I see way to many dogs that are given master titles after failing several HT's at that level. I feel we are starting to promote dogs with bad training habbits and poor marking ablitity.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Where does it end and where do these committees come up with this stuff?

  4. #34
    Senior Member DMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    E WA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Happy some states legalized recreational use. Now we see the pit falls.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    I've decided to look at this another way, I still think the changing a title every MH pass, to sort've put one dog above another in terms of one being better in skill is ludicrous. But I could get behind such if it were considered a life-time achievement type of reward, akin to those of other venues. Other venues get recognized for 500pt, 1000pt, etc. which-by not every test and point is counted but a life-time of effort is recognized. I've noticed that the type of person who achieve such titles are usually a very dedicated owner-handler who just likes to run their dog. So if the AKC were to have recondition for say Silver 30, Gold 40 and Platinum 50 passes; That's something someone could aspire to for the life-time of the dog, and not something a instant title-gratification type person would see much benefit in.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-23-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    I feel if the AKC and the retriever world was about improving the breeds and not about the money. They wouldn't come up with these new titles. They would say after your dog has failed a given number of tests and has not titled, that dog would be unable to run hunt tests at that level, or the dog would only be able to run under a limited reg. and unbreedable. I see way to many dogs that are given master titles after failing several HT's at that level. I feel we are starting to promote dogs with bad training habbits and poor marking ablitity.
    Not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but are you saying AKC should be allowed to limit breeding to only dogs with titles? ("They would say after your dog has failed a given number of tests and has not titled, that dog...and unbreedable."). Not sure how AKC could tell an owner/breeder which dogs they can/cannot breed, and not sure why you'd want this to be the case? Breeding decisions, at least those made by good breeders, take into account much more than just an animal's title/s; for instance, health clearances, Coefficients of Inbreeding, etc. In some breeds, such as the CBR, the gene pool is already small and the breed is affected by a number of significant health concerns, such as DM. Limiting breeding to only 'titled' animals would be a disaster for the breed. (FYI, I'm not a breeder.)

    IMHO, when AKC decides to add titles, their prime motivator is to increase the number of fees they can collect, like when they switched the CGC from a 'certificate' to a 'title' which costs the owner an additional fee.
    Last edited by dinaperugini; 09-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    788

    Default

    i'd just like to see QAA made an AKC title

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    i'd just like to see QAA made an AKC title
    No way! We need to make more numbers behind a master hunter dog than recognize the minimum achievement in a field trial. Lol

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    No way! We need to make more numbers behind a master hunter dog than recognize the minimum achievement in a field trial. Lol
    well derby list might be considered minimum achievement but i think thats more of retriever news thing rather than akc?

  10. #40
    Senior Member BHB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    917

    Default

    From what I've heard,... these new titles are to recognize dogs that qualify every year for the MN and don't travel because of various reasons(cost prohibitive, time off, etc). Having all those passes adds up to a pretty accomplished dog. Yes, the AKC does stand to profit by it but I think that these people that put pass after pass on their dogs year after year and don't get to go to the MN should at least have a chance to be recognized. Just my .02

    BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

    One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

    Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •