The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: new akc title

I agree that it is pointless. MHXX would show ONLY that said dog has passed X amount of Master tests. I am putting a MH on my male and once he gets it he will not be running any more Master tests. After I graduated high school I didn't return to take the exit exam every year thereafter.

HRC has the 500 point club, the 1000, the 1500, etc. I need a couple more passes to have 500 points on my male. I'm doing this ONLY because I have never owned a jacket that costs $5,000!

However, to each his own, some individuals just like travelling all over the country and running hunt tests.

Although not a participant, I do agree with the others that if someone wants real bragging rights there is a venue just for that.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I think it's because fluffy dogs need more letters/numbers to add to their list of titles. You already need an encyclopedia of dog titles to know what all that stuff stands for.

Had to put the to keep people from stringing me up.

Lonnie, I have one of those jackets that I will let go of for half of that 5k.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

The title with the number designation is a way to keep those older titled dogs in the game. I think AKC is seeing the writing on the wall as have other organizations from NAHRA, HRC and so on. Once the master level title is earned and a dog has run the National, Invitational, Grand etc... Many of them don't see the need to keep running. (As Lonnie stated)

Sure, it recognizes a dogs consistency... But it really boils down to numbers and entry fees. NAHRA was first to do it years ago with the GMHR (at least I think they were). I got one with a dog that ran trials as well... But then thought to myself what's the point? It wasn't really a challenge for the dog.
    Bill Davis

Whatever. The AKC is after the bucks, of course. I don't see anything wrong with it--folks at HTs are always trying to come up with ways that their dogs are better than other MH dogs and if the AKC is going to make a couple of bucks by selling them a certificate to feed their egos, it is fine by me. They should also look into a MH<=2 title for those who feel it is important that their dog got the MH by age 2--and I am sure there will be others. At the end of the day it is not going to make much difference one way or another as most good breeders do so much work beyond whatever titles the dog has it isn't going to influence them.

This is silly.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    From what I've heard,... these new titles are to recognize dogs that qualify every year for the MN and don't travel because of various reasons(cost prohibitive, time off, etc). Having all those passes adds up to a pretty accomplished dog. Yes, the AKC does stand to profit by it but I think that these people that put pass after pass on their dogs year after year and don't get to go to the MN should at least have a chance to be recognized. Just my .02

BHB
    Havent read any of the posts but....I think, if those dogs are so accomplished they should be running field trials. Next thing you know you'll have a 4xMH being bred like an FC/AFC, and in essence watering down the breed....just my .02.
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Sorry Danielle
    My bad.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Current information about the lifetime achievement title can be found in the September AKC board minutes (http://images.akc.org/pdf/board_minutes/0913.pdf). The specific portion of the minutes:

"
    Retriever Hunting Test-Master Hunter Lifetime Achievement Title
    The Board VOTED to add a new Section 7 to CHAPTER 2 of
    Regulations and Guidelines forAKC Hunting Tests for Retrievers to create a new title in the Retriever Hunting Test program
    called a Master Hunter Lifetime Achievement title. The title will be designated by the letters MH followed by a number indicating the number of times the dog passed the MH test. MH12 will bethe minimum level MH Lifetime Achievement title. Owners may request the title at any time. This would most likely occur when the dog is retired or prior to breeding. The title may be updated atthe request of the owner. The request will be done on a form developed by the Performance Events Department. A nominal processing fee would be charged. Master level test passes back to January 1, 2000 will count toward the title. This change is effective January 1, 2014.

Section 7. Master Hunter Lifetime Achievement Title.
    A dog that has passed the Master Hunter test twelve or more times is eligible to be awarded a Master Hunter Lifetime Achievement Title. The title is designated by the letters MH followed by a number indicating the number of times the dog has passed the MH test.The title is awarded at the request of the owner. A form provided by the Performance Events Department must be completed and submitted with a processing fee. The owner may request this title at any time and the title can be updated as often as requested. Upon verification, the title will be included on the dog’s records and a title certificate will be issued. The title will appear on the dog’s AKC pedigree. A MH# title will supersede a MH title or a lower numbered MH# title on the dog’s record. The MH# title will be in addition to the MNH title. A qualifying score at the Master National Hunting Test will count as one pass of the MH test.The Master Hunter Lifetime Achievement Title application form can be
    downloaded at www.akc.org."

The form to request the title does not appear to be yet available, but should appear at
    http://www.akc.org/pdfs/masterform.cfm once it has been created. Presumably, the form
    will contain the recording fee required.
    Last edited by bakbay; 09-24-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: readability
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

The only way this could be worthwhile was if it was a formula stating the percentage ran and passed. If the dog runs 25 Test a year and passes 50% who cares?
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 09-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I think it's because fluffy dogs need more letters/numbers to add to their list of titles. You already need an encyclopedia of dog titles to know what all that stuff stands for.

Had to put the to keep people from stringing me up.

Lonnie, I have one of those jackets that I will let go of for half of that 5k.
    Bubba,

It would have been a heck of a deal a few years back, however I only need 2 more passes to get my $30.00 windbreaker with the zipper on the wrong side for $5,000.00. I've never been accused of being too smart.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).