The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: heartworm test

Default heartworm test

Can someone explain to me why they dont test pups untill a year old for heartworms? I called my vet to get a test and they told me not till hes a year old and the woman that answered the phone didnt know why

From the time of exposure until there are mature adult heartworms is 6 months although we now know with the new heartworm test infections are detectable 4 months after exposure. We do not test dogs under 6 months of age but after that there is no reason to delay testing. So the answer to your question is there is no reason to wait to test until one year. Occasionally people at the front desk disseminate incorrect information.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    From the time of exposure until there are mature adult heartworms is 6 months although we now know with the new heartworm test infections are detectable 4 months after exposure. We do not test dogs under 6 months of age but after that there is no reason to delay testing. So the answer to your question is there is no reason to wait to test until one year. Occasionally people at the front desk disseminate incorrect information.
    Thanks Dr. Ed that explains it all