20 19.23%
  • yes middle of the pack

22 21.15%
  • no

62 59.62%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first time and first dog

Default first time and first dog

so as you may recall we had to scratch our first derby (drew #17 dog) because of an incident with a barb wire fence (the fence won!). stitches were removed today and the vet gave us the all clear

i signed up for a test last week thinking that was the response we would get

couple weeks ago i posed a question to my training group. if i was the first dog to the line and i told you i had never run a trial and neither had my dog. would you allow me to drop back a few dogs to get the hang of it

responses varied (including from one who will be a judge at the very derby we will be at) most said probably not

well of course i jinxed myself. got drawn as first dog

what would you as a judge do in this situation? stick the script? drop back a few?

That's why there's a test dog.

Three answers

1. Politically correct response: " Just watch me and we'll show you how its done"

2. Real life real world response: "Get in there and Git R Done"

3. Field Trial snob response: " you're not ready for field trials, go try a hunt test"

if you are already this apprehensive about drawing an early spot, maybe you need to re examine if you and your dog are ready to compete, because sooner or later you will draw the starting spot either by the rotation or by luck of the draw..I know of many a seasoned FT competitor that would prefer to be first up in the 4 th series and establish such excellent work that they make others change their tactics to try and beat them
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

No you should be able to adjust the line up. Run as your number is designated. Why should anything be different for you?? Just run the trial!! JMO.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Just run, if others say you're not ready for FT and are you'll know that these are the people to stay away from as they are selfish and could care less about you or your dog.
    Just don't understand people anymore.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

First is not a bad place for a first time young dog. No drag back scent. Unless he has learned to run through drag back young dog in it's first trial can get stopped dead in his tracks with drag back

Judges judge dogs. Judges may decide to establish a rotation - although most do not for the minor stakes. Other than setting a rotation, judges do not establish a running order.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Run number one, it is a good spot. It is a marking test, your dog is either a good marker or not. And as other's have mentioned no drag back. You do not have time to get too nervous and your dog does not have too much time to get all worked-up. Plus you will look better and feel better about yourself instead of looking all wimpy about having to ask for a favor to run later.
    Colleen

First AKC Junior test for both me and my dog. Dog not FF @ 7 months old. We were supposed to run second but the pro in first position was at another venue. Had to run first. After the explanation but before the test dog, ran back to air the pup. Came to the line shaking. Pup got 9's and 10's for marking but would not deliver to hand. Fast forward two years, learned a lot since then, running Master tests now but still remember how nervous and confused I was. It would have been better to have seen a few others run first. I wouldn't want to do that to any newcomer if avoidable.

Hint: The Marshall has a lot of sway over the running order. Don't bother the judges about such things. The Marshall may want to get some Pros out of the way first so they can go on to the higher stakes. Watch those pros closely to see how they line up their dogs. Take your time making sure your dog is really staring down that long memory bird and not lined up for the very attractive Flyer Go Bird station.

Good luck!