20 19.23%
  • yes middle of the pack

22 21.15%
  • no

62 59.62%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: first time and first dog

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    If You asked for volunteers to run first, and I had two dogs entered, lets say dog 4 and dog 29 ,would you let me run my 29 dog first?

john
    still have to run in order don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    still have to run in order don't you?
    I don't know, Do you ?? This whole thread is about running out of order, and 32 people that answered the poll seem to be saying that you do not.......

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I don't know, Do you ?? This whole thread is about running out of order, and 32 people that answered the poll seem to be saying that you do not.......

john
    From the AKC Field Trial Rules and Standard Procedures:
    (c) If a handler with multiple entries in a stake runs one of those entries in an order different than the order required by the draw, the draw as rotated, a departure from the draw mandated by paragraphs (a) or (b) of this Section 4, or a departure from the draw ocasioned by a rerun, and the Judges determine that this departure from the order of the draw was a deliberate effort by the handler to gain an unfair advantage, the Judges shall eliminate that dog from the stake and shall ask the Event Committe to conduct an investigation of the handler’s conduct. In all other instances of such a departure from the order of the draw, the departure shall be treated as an honest error and no penalty imposed.
    Bill Davis

Earlier in the rule book on the same subject...

Insofar as practicable dogs shall be run in the order of the draw, or in the order of the draw as rotated in stakes carrying championship points; provided that departures from the order of the draw are permitted:
    (a) When in the opinion of the Judges or the Field Trail Committee such will result in a reasonable or desirable saving of time in the conduct of the trial, provided, however, that whenever decisions regard- ing a change in the running order will affect two or more stakes, the Field Trial Marshal may overrule the judges and/or the stake marshal and make the final decision as to such changes in the running order, if any, or — This subsection contemplates that the Field Trial Committee will be responsible for providing effective means of communication between and among the stakes so that decisions about departures from the order of the draw that have an impact on more than one stake can be made, and conflicts resolved, with proper attention to the priori- ties among stakes and to the overall needs of the trial. The authority of the Field Trial Committee to make the final decision on departures from the running order in one stake which may adversely impact another stake shall be exercised by the Field Trial Marshal.
    (b) When in the opinion of the Judges such will avoid unfairness or prejudice to any competing dog resulting from an event which has occurred in the particular stake.
    Bill Davis

If You asked for volunteers to run first, and I had two dogs entered, lets say dog 4 and dog 29 ,would you let me run my 29 dog first?

john
    if this was a trick question and the starting number of the draw was 28 you would run 29 first

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    if this was a trick question and the starting number of the draw was 28 you would run 29 first
    Derbies do not use the Dow, so the first dog to run is #1. A club could change that, but I have not seen it.

Please let me run first, that way if I'm out; I can leave or maybe even go to one of those places (I think they call restaurants), btw series; and not get suckered into starting the day throwing birds, shooting birds, moving things around etc. which always seems to happen regardless of what number I get drawn, or where I'm running
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Derbies do not use the Dow, so the first dog to run is #1. A club could change that, but I have not seen it.
    missed that- did use it for a Qual recently up here.

Based on the information posted by Bill Davis in posts 63 and 64 ( the rules regarding the running order/draw), If both the OP and I are at the Derby, and we have no other place to be, I can no more volunteer to run my dog #4 ahead of dog #3,2, and 1 than I can to run my dog # 29.......

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 09-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

just and update. test ran a little late because of downpour the night before we had to relocate and find new grounds. ended up having to run first and second series back to back. small hunt on flyer. medium sized hunt on memory. inital line was to gunner then swung left about 20 yards out to bird. invited to run second series "super" single. got a no bird. came back up and ran it large hunt. got called back to the third that started on sunday. broke on the go bird. it was thrown from the point towards the main shore on side of hill. would of picked him up normally but called him back since we have the history of no-go. i still want to keep his confidence up. released him of course he didnt mark it well because of the break. hunted 2-3 minutes finally put him on the bird because he was getting back in the water behind the gun and i saw him look over at that memory mark and just thought he was going to switch.

the judge that i knew said afterwards let your dog hunt your not training your trialing. i said yea i was just nervous about a switch and besides i shouldnt of even sent him on the go-bird.

all in all my goal was for him not to return to the flyer station in the first and to make it past first so i was happy.

in other news i was stuck in some of the thickest oklahoma red clay for an hour and half 15 mins before the test was supposed to start (prior to me finding out it was delayed). the grounds changed and i was still following EE directions. luckily they were able to get a tractor to pull me out. then my engine blew rod/crankshaft/piston about 30 mins after i left yesterday and had to have one of my training buddies take me into OKC to get a UHaul car dolly (where they raped me on the price) then go back to my car. load it up and make the 7 hour trip back. getting it off the dolly was even more fun. it took an extension cord (didnt have chain or straps) wrapped around my back bumper and my brother in law pulling it off with his truck.

the 4runner is kaput. luckily that means im getting a truck this afternoon and hopefully a dog box in next year or so (still waiting to let the wife know on that one)

and i'll be back at it next week