• yes 6 dogs

20 19.23%
  • yes middle of the pack

22 21.15%
  • no

62 59.62%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: first time and first dog

There is only one reason that the FT Committee represented by the Marshall can legally alter the running order as drawn or drawn then rotated....
    It is that such a departure would expedite the running of the trial ..........

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    First AKC Junior test for both me and my dog. Dog not FF @ 7 months old. We were supposed to run second but the pro in first position was at another venue. Had to run first. After the explanation but before the test dog, ran back to air the pup. Came to the line shaking. Pup got 9's and 10's for marking but would not deliver to hand. Fast forward two years, learned a lot since then, running Master tests now but still remember how nervous and confused I was. It would have been better to have seen a few others run first. I wouldn't want to do that to any newcomer if avoidable.

Very well stated. First time newbie should have the choice I believe. I see pros jump ahead in HT all the time no questions asked. Do you think a pro would let a newbie change spots? Hmmmmm.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

this guy is talking about a FT . Going for blue , not orange. It is different.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Take what you get and run what you brung!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    this guy is talking about a FT . Going for blue , not orange. It is different.
    I agree with Bridget. Unless a pro is at the Derby and needs to run early to get to the Open, the #1 in the draw should run first. The time to observe research the mechanics of running at a trial are at a previous trial. Once entered, you have to play by the rules. Running at a trial is a lot different than running a first JH.

there you go....play by the rules...lol...compared to all the other sleazy cheating that goes on at trials i'd let you run 1st or last.....big deal..be realistic...all depends who you are and how competitive you are...
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

As usual Randy nailed it. You can also rest assured that the running order had been carefully manipulated prior to the catalog getting printed.

All the same just remember - dogs dog, handlers handle and judges judge. Just step up and do your best.

The only reason they even give you a number is so they know where to write down the results regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    First is not a bad place for a first time young dog. No drag back scent. Unless he has learned to run through drag back young dog in it's first trial can get stopped dead in his tracks with drag back
    Good to go,------ YOU OWN IT.!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    there you go....play by the rules...lol...compared to all the other sleazy cheating that goes on at trials i'd let you run 1st or last.....big deal..be realistic...all depends who you are and how competitive you are...
    no kidding. The noob hasn't got much of a chance regardless, besides the order been picked already ahead of time, why not let the new guy run when he feels better.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    no kidding. The noob hasn't got much of a chance regardless, besides the order been picked already ahead of time, why not let the new guy run when he feels better.

/Paul
    Let's perpetuate some urban myths. When the draw was done by the FTS manipulation was possible. With a random computer draw manipulation is almost impossible, I am not sure if Paul, Randy, and the bull guy have been a FTS but I have and if manipulation was possible it would be for the new guy not against him, so I am calling BS on the conspiracy theory advocates!