• yes 6 dogs

20 19.23%
  • yes middle of the pack

22 21.15%
  • no

62 59.62%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: first time and first dog

Hmm..... To my group.... Which excuse number does this fall under... 655??? lol- chuckles tonight..

run the dog and worry about the stuff which matters. If it doesn't go well, don't make excuses about it. Go train a dog.

[QUOTE=Paul "Happy" Gilmore;1148186

run the dog and worry about the stuff which matters. If it doesn't go well, don't make excuses about it. Go train a dog.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Paul!

I was just trying to say that as a new person, you hope you can go to forums like this to ask an honest question and get some straightforward replies. I understand sarcasm and wit, but it'd be nice if a new person who is just seeking information or trying to learn, could get information without having to wade through a pile of crap. I think sometimes people forget that they were new and clueless once, too!

(Give those brown beasts a rub behind the ears from me!)
    Last edited by dinaperugini; 09-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dinaperugini View Post
    I agree with you, Paul!

I was just trying to say that as a new person, you hope you can go to forums like this to ask an honest question and get some straightforward replies. I understand sarcasm and wit, but it'd be nice if a new person who is just seeking information or trying to learn, could get information without having to wade through a pile of crap. I think sometimes people forget that they were new and clueless once, too!

(Give those brown beasts a rub behind the ears from me!)
    You definitely don't need forum replies...lol. You have a few of the top amateurs in the nation to guide you along. yip-yip! lol!!! Folks who have been to the National and own dogs that have titles that no lab will ever likely achieve. I'll just say it- no lab will ever achieve. hahahahaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You definitely don't need forum replies...lol. You have a few of the top amateurs in the nation to guide you along. yip-yip! lol!!! Folks who have been to the National and own dogs that have titles that no lab will ever likely achieve. I'll just say it- no lab will ever achieve. hahahahaaa!!!

Ain't that the truth??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    For the record it took a week to get the chessie smell out of my clothes last time I stayed at your house. I voted to let them run later.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Its the derby. What are you going to learn by watching a few dogs? Can't handle. Take your time line up the dog and go. You should know your dog and what you need to do to help him see and remember the birds. Past that he's either gonna mark em or he isn't. Running first assures only 1 only flier to scent the area so you're not comma get a short or long flier fall. I ran my first one this spring. Didn't matter to me when in the order.
    Daren Galloway

It wasnt a deby,, but,, I remember when I ran my first UKC Finished test. I was dog 1.. A very seasoned handelr and a Great representative of that HRC game came up to me and said he would switch positions with me (he was dog 5) if ,, in the future I would remeber the gesture and pass it on..

I thought at the time , it was a very sportsmanship like thing to do. I appreciated it very much. He became a good friend of mine..

The derby I recently ran,, I was dead last! Dont know how that happened,,, but If someone placed me there so I could watch other dogs run,, well,, I appreciated that also...

First experiences are important in my opinion..

Most everyone I have come in contact with in the dog games are great people..

Even Dr Ed!!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Well maybe things are different in the Pacific Northwest, not on my circuit or Blake's from Arkansas
    Bubba doesn't run white coats. In the HT games, just a while back Bubba tried to kick me in the junk for noting all the folks in the PNW who write down their name next to a Pro plus another good buddy so they can sit in the gallery together. Folks whom don't have a dog on said Pro's truck nor do they travel with the other good buddy listed along side. Silly little games they play. As if it's too hard to stroll back to the truck and go see the other series/stake. Just cracks me up how silly it all is when you start looking closer at it. They act like it's imperative to have another handlers name on it in case some crazy hair brained happening occurs and someone else needs to run the dog.

I don't think the run order means too much in a HT.
    But since your running a FT the running order means a lot. The set up will change as the sun changes in the sky. Shadows mess with dogs, long gun does or don't stand out as the sun light changes. Drag back scent effects dogs in different ways. These are just a few factors that change as the set up progesses. That's why the run order is a blind draw and it's important to run in order as much as possible.
    This time your dog #1 next time maybe you'll be the beer dog, and wish you were running #1.
    Have fun and good luck.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Since I am currently running two younger dogs, I've probably run 25 or so minor stakes in the last two years. I have yet to have one run in the order of the draw,

If I was the Marshall, I would indure the wrath of John Fallon and ask someone that I knew well if they would consider running first so the newbie could have an extra dog to watch. I can understand how watching a few would help them get the flow of the test.

To the OP, in my experience, running your young dog early in a derby could be benefical when compared to having it sit in the truck for half a day listening to guns going off and all the other associated trumoil.

In a stake with blinds it might be a different story. It's really helpful for me to watch a bunch to see the potential trouble spots.