RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Awesome opening of early goose!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mark Teahan 
#1 ·
Trap was steady, and marked the falls.
Lots of geese moving this morning.

See less See more
#2 ·
That creek they call a river did produce! Very nice. Good boy Trap! Wish I could say the same for Fin on opening waterfowl in MN.

He broke twice on me, then I didn't shoot anymore. . Much easier to control him if Im watching him instead of action in front of me. Teal, wood duck, mallard, and 1lone goose. Fun morning, glad you had the same Mark!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#7 ·
Great work! Congratulations on a successful hunt and training a steady dog.

#8 ·
So Mark, doesn't look like your on the "river". Field hunting? It used to be in MN you had to be 100 ft from water in early goose but that changed a few years ago when the geese were taking over. I would rather field hunt, it's more in my comfort zone. Your lucky you got both options.
Don't tell anybody but all my geese get turned into dog treats also. They luv em. :)
Maria

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#12 ·
Looks like a good hunt, how is the goose population there? I can tell ya back home its been a tough September, nothing is cut and all the oats are on second cut for hay so spots are limited. It seems were running about 2 weeks behind for any good fields with corn coming off. Ducks look good though.

#13 ·
Quite a few geese around here. Saw about 20 or better ducks flying this morning.
I am hunting in hay fields. The field I shot these is uncut. Used stakes on my shells to keep them from disappearing!
No luck today. The geese were landing in the cut field behind Traps trophy pic.
No shots. They landed and left over the river.
Right place, wrong spot.

#14 ·
Was another great morning!
First goose down landed about 20 yards in front of us.
Trap broke......
Guess it was too much for him!
A stern no, and he returned to heel.
Waited to be sent on the next 2.
He's gettin in the groove again.

Geese were still trying to land during pics and picking up dekes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.