RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Master National

27K views 93 replies 36 participants last post by  Jim Spagna 
#1 ·
anyone got info on how the first series is going how long does it take to run , what kind of setup, how long are the marks and blinds.

#2 ·
There are four different set ups since they are divided into four flights.

Flint Oak is in a very remote area, most likely very little news will get out during the day, since communications are very limited.

I do know that three flights are running land tests and one flight is running a combo.

#4 ·
Flight D are the ones at Birch. By the way, there are no birch trees located on the site. The previous owners of that part of the land were named Birch(or maybe Burch) so Flint Oak named this area in their honor.

#5 ·
Just got a phone call from a friend running in Flight D (they haven't run themselves yet). Apparently the field is being pared down rather rapidly - tough series with not a lot of wind and plenty of handles.

Sending good thoughts to ALL dogs/handlers running in all series!

#8 ·
Call backs have been posted in the past, I think. The call back list should be found on the master national web page at some point after the first series is completed. Be patient since everyone is a volunteer and there are many things going on that may require their attention as well.

#9 ·
With that many dogs in each flight, I'm not looking to see call backs from the first series for a long time ....probably average 8 dogs per hour...do the math ...Steve S

#11 ·
#13 ·
Thanks, Tom, for the link to the blog. Of course, now that I've read about Flight D, I need an antacid and a stiff drink! Sounds like a tough test. Cleo is number 77 and will run tomorrow.

#14 · (Edited)
just an update. i dont know if this is normal but a buddy there said that all groups will face the same test each series. so like today all groups triple with flyer. rooster phesants. diversion poison bird with blind and honor. only thing different is the properties

hopefully this means all tests finish at the same time. C which is the on my buddy is in is on dog #29

#15 ·
#16 ·
None of the flights will finish before late today (sunday.) no partial call callbacks so info won't be available until likely late tonight or early AM. D finished last night at 715 PM w/ dog #42. Good solid test but difficult. I expect we'll lose 1/3 of the flight if things keep going as they did yesterday.

#17 ·
Good luck to you and Lyle today. And good luck to all the dogs and handlers!

#18 ·
Flight D was pretty ugly to start. Lots of picked up dogs and double handles. Apparently the test looks lots different from the line as opposed to the gallery. Flyers have been FAST. Big roosters.

#20 ·
A lot will depend on how many dogs finish each group....If one group is weak or one strong that will be the difference in when they finish...Hopefully mechanics will go good for all of them especially when making the move from one test to another...Steve S

#21 ·
It's killing me that I'm not there. I know my dog ran D late this morning, but haven't texted my pro yet to see how it went. He's got 7 others to run so I figure I'll give him the courtesy of focusing on his other dogs before i see how things went. I'm hoping we're in the game come Wednesday so I can make the trip.

#22 ·
Well my dog ran Flt D yesterday afternoon. Had "2" count them TWO no birds on the flyer. Picked up the Go Bird and the Flyer and just couldn't get the 1st bird down. Not the way I wanted her to retire from the game. But it is a game.

#25 ·
Apparently some of the natural cover has a strong odor which has complicated finding the bird for some dogs.

#26 ·
The cover is thick ragweed. The seed pods look and feel like oregano and have a not unpleasant order like lavender. It's not as strong as sagebrush but apparently does play havoc w/ the dogs' sense of smell. You'll excuse me if I say the goldens, in general, seemed to have a better time using their nose than the labs. Many dogs worked or were handled all around the flyer and could not seem to nose it.

#27 ·
The goldenrod and broom weed are loaded with pollen right now and adding to the scent issues

#28 ·
The interview with Dan Kielty of Marks-A-Lot is dead on. He ran 9 dogs in flight D so he knows it well!

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.