The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running first field trial today

Make him steady to the shot its very important in duck hunting wouldn't want any one accidentally shooting him.

I dont think this was a field trial but maybe some kind of upland hunt.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

You don't want him steady for duck hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by swampeast View Post
    You don't want him steady for duck hunting?
    i do want him steady for duck hunting. He is 90% steady when training with bumpers. He become less steady when real bird are involved but this is being worked on.

He is just not steady at all after flushing an upland bird. He just kept chasing after it took off. This is what I meant by not being steady to shot. In the puppy class this is not marked down for.

It was an upland test, this is not a UKC or AKC event. They call it a field trial or hunters trial around here. I found it very confusing too as to what sort of event it was. They plant 2 birds in a field while dog/hunter are in the blind. The dog and hunter then have 10 mins to locate, flush and recover birds. judges then score the dog on preset criteria. What exactly would you guys call this?

Congratulations, but watch out, that first ribbon can lead to an unhealthy obsession.

Sounds like UFTA flushing field trials. 3 birds planted while handler and dog are in a blind. You have 20 minutes to find, shoot and retrieve the birds. Scores based on time remaining, birds found, shells shot, and full vs partial retrieves. Quite fun and it is competitive- you have to place and win a certain number of times to title. Have done this in the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    i do want him steady for duck hunting. He is 90% steady when training with bumpers. He become less steady when real bird are involved but this is being worked on.

He is just not steady at all after flushing an upland bird. He just kept chasing after it took off. This is what I meant by not being steady to shot. In the puppy class this is not marked down for.

It was an upland test, this is not a UKC or AKC event. They call it a field trial or hunters trial around here. I found it very confusing too as to what sort of event it was. They plant 2 birds in a field while dog/hunter are in the blind. The dog and hunter then have 10 mins to locate, flush and recover birds. judges then score the dog on preset criteria. What exactly would you guys call this?
    We call it "shoot to retrieve" competition around here, but I think there are a bunch of names for it.

A dog that is steady to wing and shot won't often win these type of competitions since the faster the better. I would caution against not steadying your dog if plan to do most work or hunt tests that require a steady dog. They have very bad breaking habits and poor steadiness when run in a lot of upland trials. We learned this first hand. Best to do the steadiness training and work first- ingrain that into the dog- then later do upland trials. They can learn the difference between the different venues and situations, but bad habits allowed for long periods of time are hard to break. The upland trials are lots of fun if you can shoot.