The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Allergies

Default Help with Allergies

She has been tested at LSU Dermatology. She is negative for any kind of mange. We have changed her food three times now. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach, Hill's Grain Free and Hill's Prescription D/D. If anyone has any ideas please help.

Thanks Curtiss
    LindsaysLabs@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can get a test now for food allergies to see exactly what it is she is sensitive too. If that doesn't give you any answers it may be something in her environment.
    http://hemopet.org/nutriscan.html
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CLindsay View Post
    She has been tested at LSU Dermatology. She is negative for any kind of mange. We have changed her food three times now. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach, Hill's Grain Free and Hill's Prescription D/D. If anyone has any ideas please help.

Thanks Curtiss
    LindsaysLabs@yahoo.com

Was her thyroid checked? Zinc levels checked? Zinc deficiency is becoming more common.

Have you tried giving her Zyrtec?

Chances are this has nothing to do with food.

Thanks for the information on the NutriScan. I will be doing that this week. I will also check zinc levels and thyroid. I just have not thought about that but now that I am thinking thyroid does increase hair loss. Zyrtec as in allergy medicine correct. My wife is a pharmacist and I will see what we can do. Is it dosed the same as it would be for humans by weight? Thanks for all of your help.

Curtiss

Had a dog with allergies. After much testing and allergy shots Atopica worked well for him. I don't remember the generic name, maybe cyclosporine. Expensive at $5 a pill a day but the only thing that worked.
    I too doubt it's as simple as switching foods to fix it.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Have one that developed vexing allergies at about 15 mos., tried all sorts of things including the Heska test (a blood test) along with switching feeds. Heska test indicated she was allergic to dust mites so we kept her environment scrupulously clean: washed her dog bed cover weekly and kept the bedding inside 2 hypo allergenic pillowcases, which helped somewhat but she got worse as a 2 yr. old. She'd lose hair and develop red welts from getting scratched up during training, so I took her to a dermatologist and who ran the "dot test" which is where they shave a patch of skin and inject 63 different allergens. This revealed some grass allergies, but not off the charts so the vets felt she was a good candidate for desensitization. I had to give her shots every other day for about 2 mos. but she did improve. We also have full thyroid panels run regularly on her and she has been on Thyroxin on and off which has also helped. Now she only looks bad twice a year when she blows her coat, and she doesn't scratch incessantly either. You have to find the source of the irritation and also check the immune system is working properly (get a full thyroid panel sent to Univ. of Mich. done, not just the T3). Often with allergic dogs, low normal merits thyroid supplementation and can help get the immune system functioning better which helps with the allergies, from my experience. Also having a good vet to work with is an enormous help.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

X 2 on Atopica
    Tom Dorroh

Banned

Thanks for the information on the NutriScan. I will be doing that this week. I will also check zinc levels and thyroid. I just have not thought about that but now that I am thinking thyroid does increase hair loss. Zyrtec as in allergy medicine correct. My wife is a pharmacist and I will see what we can do. Is it dosed the same as it would be for humans by weight? Thanks for all of your help.

Curtiss
    Consult with your own vet but this vet's website has dosage for Zyrtec

http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Thyroid is a something you should check. I am not a vet but when you see a condition with skin and coat that is bi-lateral it can be due to thyroid. Hopefully its just a bad environmental allergy and she rubs her eyes a lot. Zyrtec is very effective.

Banned

Curtiss
    Consult with your own vet but this vet's website has dosage for Zyrtec

http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Thyroid is a something you should check. I am not a vet but when you see a condition with skin and coat that is bi-lateral it can be due to thyroid. Hopefully its just a bad environmental allergy and she rubs her eyes a lot. Zyrtec is very effective.

You should also check to see if what you are feeding has chelated or proteinated zinc and a good level. Pro Plan and Eukanuba and many other foods popular in the community do not.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Had a dog with allergies. After much testing and allergy shots Atopica worked well for him. I don't remember the generic name, maybe cyclosporine. Expensive at $5 a pill a day but the only thing that worked.
    I too doubt it's as simple as switching foods to fix it.
    John and I used to PM about our dogs with "bad skin". Cyclosporine is the generic. I used to buy it in Canada (years ago) because it was $150 for a month's supply, and Atopica was $500 a month in the states. I have some pictures of my dog, pre and post Cyclosporine and you would not believe the difference. Hope the cost has gone down, if Cyclosporine is what you need. First photo is of MeMe after a couple of years on Cyclosporine (2010). Others were taken in 2007, very sick dog. Her fur was brown and brittle, and her tail was bare. She was bathed often in an attempt to control yeast infections, and she was on Prednisone and Benadryl. _MG_5596.jpgDSCF0123.jpgDSCF0124.jpgDSCF0125.jpgNov 06 to July 07 004.jpgNov 06 to July 07 005.jpgNov 06 to July 07 006.jpg
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 09-24-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.