The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Allergies

My wife can get some meds at cost if there wholesaler stocks them. I will check on the Atopica and Cyclosporine. I will start with Zyrtec and go from there. I will contact LSU today to check on how much.

Spent a ton last year at the canine dermatologist trying everything to combat itching, raw belly. Atopica did not work for me, nor did any other fancy drugs. Tests were inconclusive. Finally had success with benedryl and melatonin. These allergies appeared to be seasonal, peaking in the fall and backing off the rest of the year. The benedryl and melatonin combo worked well enough so that the allergies completely disappeared with cooler weather and she grew a spectacular winter coat. All was well until about a month ago when the scratching began again. I am currently managing it with the benedryl/melatonin combo. She has three small, mildly irritated patches, but nothing like last year. And cooler weather is coming. Good luck, these situations can be very frustrating, and expensive to get a handle on.

My chocolate lab has had several problems with skin allergies. We have best controlled it with prednizone. She takes 10 mg every other day. She is also taking a thyroid pill. We also got a special shampoo from the vet which seems to help as well. Fall seems to be her worst time of year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Spent a ton last year at the canine dermatologist trying everything to combat itching, raw belly. Atopica did not work for me, nor did any other fancy drugs. Tests were inconclusive. Finally had success with benedryl and melatonin. These allergies appeared to be seasonal, peaking in the fall and backing off the rest of the year. The benedryl and melatonin combo worked well enough so that the allergies completely disappeared with cooler weather and she grew a spectacular winter coat. All was well until about a month ago when the scratching began again. I am currently managing it with the benedryl/melatonin combo. She has three small, mildly irritated patches, but nothing like last year. And cooler weather is coming. Good luck, these situations can be very frustrating, and expensive to get a handle on.
    that is interesting because melatonin is used to treat sunlight-related alopecia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CLindsay View Post
    My wife can get some meds at cost if there wholesaler stocks them. I will check on the Atopica and Cyclosporine. I will start with Zyrtec and go from there. I will contact LSU today to check on how much.
    Maybe a good idea to treat the area topically so it heals a bit faster...I have always used EMT Gel for cuts and bruises but I hear Vetricyn is great.

Originally Posted by awclark

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    that is interesting because melatonin is used to treat sunlight-related alopecia
    That is what the vet said. Melatonin promotes hair growth.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Originally Posted by awclark

That is what the vet said. Melatonin promotes hair growth.
    Darkness must as well...

Banned

What this comes down to is managing symptoms. Pinpointing a cause is helpful but in 90% of cases its an environmental allergy and a dog can't live in a bubble.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

I attached pictures of our dogs with allergies to my original post on this thread. The first photo was taken after a couple of years on Cyclosporine and she has a beautiful, thick and wavy coat. The other photos were taken prior to treatment with Cyclosporine. Prior to Cyclosporine she was on Prednisone, Benadryl and baths in an attempt to control itching.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

I have priced out all of the meds and they are very reasonable. I have spoke with Dermatology at LSU. She has been on Prednisone and Cephalexin before and it did not do much to combat the allergies. I will be starting with Prednisone and Hydroxyzine this afternoon with her feeding. I also brought her to school today with me for her bath and put the EMT Gel on her face. Also, blood test for thyroid will be sent off shortly.

Thanks Curtiss