The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder the Postal Service is Going Broke

Default No Wonder the Postal Service is Going Broke

I mailed some filters out to a customer that is roughly 25 miles away and I wanted tracking info. In the email I received showing the travel of the package I couldn't believe how far the package traveled. Package was mailed out of Valparaiso, IN and traveled to Elk Grove Village, IL, 80 miles. From EGV it went to Indianapolis, In, 211 miles. From Indy it went to Gary, IN, 152 miles. From Gary it went to Michigan City, IN, 31 miles. These filters traveled 474 miles to be delivered to a place that is 25 miles away. Pretty clear why they are going broke if this is how they ship packages.

I will mail the next ones thru UPS to see how they route the packages.

As far as the miles I just mapquested from city to city so they are an estimate.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Mail from Lafayette La sent to Lake Charles La goes to Baton Rouge La (45 miles East) and then to Lake Charles La (90 miles West).
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Plain old mistakes make more work for the postal workers. I'm pretty sure that some fresh pecans that I mailed near Tulsa OK got sent on the wrong route by the post office. They first went to Salt Lake Utah then to the town near Boston Mass. ( where they were supposed to go ). Printed label so I don't think it was a problem reading the label.

True story reported some years back............A lady was mailing a package at a post office somewhere in the USA. It was going to Austria and the postal worker told her that she could not shorten Australia that way. He was serious.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Plain old mistakes make more work for the postal workers. I'm pretty sure that some fresh pecans that I mailed near Tulsa OK got sent on the wrong route by the post office. They first went to Salt Lake Utah then to the town near Boston Mass. ( where they were supposed to go ). Printed label so I don't think it was a problem reading the label.

True story reported some years back............A lady was mailing a package at a post office somewhere in the USA. It was going to Austria and the postal worker told her that she could not shorten Australia that way. He was serious.

Well ,I side with the postal Guy on this one! I dont like abeaverations either.. I also dont like this new cell phone talk usin "ABC" words like WTF!

Just spell the words out! If Ya Kint spell,, go back to school with Nuns!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

That's normal. A letter mailed from Kingston, OK to Kingston, OK goes to Oklahoma City and back for delivery. A round trip of about 200 miles. On a positive note, it usually only takes one day to make the trip.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

The personel from the post office that serve my office are highly specialized. One person to pick-up mail in one truck and another to deliver in a separate truck. Most days they arrive about the same time.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Never underestimate the post office. I ordered a small package from Kansas City shipped to me (Western KS); it usually takes 1-2 days. Instead, 1st they shipped it to Michigan then back to western ks; took a week.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post

One year the post office returned the card I sent to my cousin back to me 2 days later marked "country unkown" . Now when I mail her cards I write the correct address as I did then but always write what the clueless idiots want several places across the envelope underlined and exclamation point.
    Eire is correct and even what it says on the country's postage stamps but the idiots want Ireland which is incorrect.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I will NEVER forgive the USPS for sponsoring Lance Armstrong and the US Cycling Team on the Tour de France run, and not because Armstrong turned out to be a lying cheating piece of crap...but How in the heck does a corporation invest MILLIONS into a sporting event that produces NO revenue, it was fiscally irresponsible
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    One year the post office returned the card I sent to my cousin back to me 2 days later marked "country unkown" . Now when I mail her cards I write the correct address as I did then but always write what the clueless idiots want several places across the envelope underlined and exclamation point.
    Eire is correct and even what it says on the country's postage stamps but the idiots want Ireland which is incorrect.
    UPS people sent a package back to the mail order place just about 3 weeks back. When I called UPS they said my street had to have a name otherwise they could not deliver the package. This is a county road with only a number no name. Have never had a problem with any UPS deliveries before this except when we first got the 911 address thing assigned out in this county. We have a fantastic US mail carrier in our area so things getting as far as our town get out here PDQ. It dawned on me that another package had not arrived so I called UPS..........UPS had done the same thing with that package ( they wrote wrong address on the tracking "page" ). Got my Christmas shopping done and everything arrived even if I did have to educate the UPS people.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~