The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running first field trial today

Default Running first field trial today

Gonna see how my 10 month old lab will do in the field. I have not done much upland training and really focused more on waterfowl training. He has flushed a few live birds but not very often. I pretty confident in his instict to have him flush the bird and his training should have him retrieve it. I'll report back with how it goes. I just hope I can shoot under pressure and give the dog a chance.

Any tips for a first timer?

good luck and dont forget to breath... and remeber to take the gun off saftey!!! best of luck to you and Trig
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Quote Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
    Gonna see how my 10 month old lab will do in the field. I have not done much upland training and really focused more on waterfowl training. He has flushed a few live birds but not very often. I pretty confident in his instict to have him flush the bird and his training should have him retrieve it. I'll report back with how it goes. I just hope I can shoot under pressure and give the dog a chance.

Any tips for a first timer?
    Derby??? Must be a real nice dog to be playing in the derby at less than a year old.
    Just Win

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Derby??? .
    sounds like a kind of upland test, bird flushing and gun handling?
    Hope the OP and pup did well.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Stovepipe 300, slant or a 250 side pan?

It was an upland test. Trig did really well seeing as how it was only the 2nd time he's ever flushed live birds. Took him about 7 mins to find the 2 chuckars. 1st bird flushed well and I made a nice shot and Trig did a very nice retrieve to hand. 2nd bird flew towards the gallery and judge called me off the shot. The dog hunted really well though and judge said we did a nice job. He took 1st place in Puppy Flushing but it was a little lack luster since he was the only puppy running the trial. Running again next Sunday in a bigger trial and hope to have some competition to compare my dog too! Dog and I had a blast though.

Straight six how many live birds has the dog seen? Sounds like he did well for his age.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Straight six how many live birds has the dog seen? Sounds like he did well for his age.

he's seen probably close to 50 live birds between buying pigeons for training and he went on 3 early season teal hunts.

Like i siad though he has only ever hunted and flushed 2 pigeons prior to this and it was his very first exsposure to a live bird when he did it. During the trial he hunted the birds like a seasoned pro and did very well quatering the field. I have spent a lot of time since he was a young pup teaching him to stay within shotgun distance and think this helped out a lot. My dog repsonds very well to my whitsle and will come closer if he gets out to far and will take hand casts to where I want him to work.

when i would get live birds, after they were shot over him and retrieved i would plant them in some cover when he wasn't looking and tell him dead bird and hunt it up. my goal was to improve he ability to located/recover crippled ducks but it seems it transitioned nice for upland hunting. the flushing part took care of itself from instict.

he is not steady to shot yet but I have spent 0 effort in teaching that. Its not important to me as I am a duck hunter and am only running FT becasue there is nothing in season that I hunt. I do plan on running them consistantly in the begining of year when duck/goose is over.

even though he won the ribbon by default, i still like it and would like some more for him.

Congrats to you and trig... PS looks like something died on your roof...
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Great Trophy photo!
    Sounds like you two are a team.
    Is that a pizza on the roof?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport