The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Dog Question

I've never had a dog not run a mark their capable of in training, so I guess if I was 100% sure in training a dog was refusing a mark I'd go to a ff method. Is this what ur suggesting?

Different scenarios, different places, different things pop-up. I'd give the pup the benefit of the doubt, that he's misunderstanding (maybe he's unfamiliar with that particular game animal, even different types of duck smell different). Maybe he doesn't know that he's responsible to pick up things fall from the sky-they've all came out of wingers, holding blinds with field calls etc. before. I'd walk-out pick up the bird throw it for him a couple of times, get him excited, get him fetching. Then see if he's not going out to pick up other birds that drop, if after that he's still refusing, and he's force fetched, well I think we'd be having a little FF session and a discussion about proper work attitude, while we're out there (dang teenagers sometime got to have a work ethic instilled) . Still my bet is he's looking for gun stations, looking out instead of up, it takes a bit for a dog to understand birds also come from the sky, you'll probably have to drop a few right at his feet, with a splash to make the connection. Taking him out with another experienced dog, could help, they seem to pick it up quicker when they have someone to watch. Still I took an MH dog, for his first hunts last season, took him 3 trips to finally get that birds fall from the sky. Once it connected he became hunt crazy, before that he'd take off backwards, running to other duck blinds, which he thought were gun stations, and it never occurred to him that he might have to mark and fetch birds that dropped 10-20ft away from him .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-24-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Has he ever been shot over? Like throw a mark , shoot from the line and then send the dog. Did you watch him as the guns were going off? Did he look away from the fall? Was he ok with the gun? Was it multiple guns?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Just a thought, has he been trained with gunners out to 100 yards in different places? Dogs are situational and he may not understand the game at a completely new place.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013