The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bloat--please read! (a.k.a. GDV)

Thanks Amy and timely topic. Having a young inhaler I just raised the dish myself. Now what?? Geesh!!

My long time Vet's Golden died from bloat. Nobody is safe I guess.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Lost my first Chessie to bloat. She looked like she'd just drank too much water. By the time it was obvious something different was happening we were at the vet only a few miles away. There wasn't anything they could do because of the damage which had been done due to blood being cut off. There isn't any easy answer. Some books say it's food, some say genetics, some say feeding schedule etc.

She had eaten the night before. We got up at 8 am notice something was odd right away and she was gone by 10am.

The biggest danger the first 24 hours after the GDV is corrected is uncontrollable heart arrhythmias which can lead to a fatal heart attack. I glad your dog had the care he did, because a lot of general practitioners are not well equipped to deal with a complicated bloat.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Glad your dog pulled through! What an awful experience!

Amy sorry that you had to go through all of this. There is not "fool proof" non-invasive means to prevent GDV. The best prevention is with a prophylactic gastropexy. These can be done with a laparoscope and are minimally invasive. Being a surgeon here in North Carolina I can tell you that it runs about $2000 with a scope and is an out patient procedure. The price may seem steep but when you consider the average cost of treating a GDV is 5000 plus with a mortality rate as high as 50% it is priceless. Especially when we have invested so much time and money in training etc. I would recommend all "at risk" or "working dog" get them. Usually done as early as 9 months and have a less than 1% risk if future GDV.

Steven Cogar

Observant owner and excellent care made the outcome a success. Glad you and your dog are on the other side of this one - thank you for the excellent information.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Just went through this with my pet dog Saturday night. I was running a field trial this weekend and left Jake at home with a neighbor kid pet sitter (he has horrible anxiety in the truck). Went out on the land series of the trial and ended up coming home a day early. Got home around midnight and my boy looked pregnant. I texted the kid and she said she fed him 3 cups and then threw the tennis ball outside for "a while" 15 minutes after he ate. I rushed him to the emergency vet and he pulled through because I caught it before his stomach actually twisted. This was one of the scariest things I've ever gone through. Had we not failed the trial, I would have come home to a dead dog the next day. I'm now contemplating the preventive surgery because I'm scared to death it's going to happen again, and I won't catch it in time or I won't be home. He was acting completely normal and was jumping around and everything when I got home, but he was very distended and his stomach was rock hard. I know about bloat from watching emergency vets on animal planet when I was younger, so I wasn't messing around. It's something I am very cautious about and always have in the back of my mind when working them. I've never been so happy that my dog failed a field trial as I was sitting at the vet that night. She saved his life

Glad your story worked out, too.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Chris, maybe you can make this a sticky for future readers?
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Any idea what caused your case of the bloat?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.