The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bloat--please read! (a.k.a. GDV)

Here is a recent podcast on the subject put out by the AKC's canine health foundation: http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/mu...t-and-gdv.html
    Josie Ottman

"Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch," E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

www.RetrieverResults.com -- points, profiles and perspective.
    New reports on Qualifiers and Entrants for National Open, National Amateur, Master National and Canadian National and Canadian National Amateur.

My male Chessie experienced GDV about 2 years ago, when he was 3 1/2 year old. He woke me up at 2am whining and clearly in distress. His abdomen was enlarged and rock hard. Called the vet and he met me at the clinic 20 minutes later. He couldn't get a vet tech there at 2:30 in morning, so I scrubbed up and assisted with the surgery. A very stressful couple hours in the operating room, but I can say that I now know my dog inside and out, literally. By that afternoon the dog was up and wanting to play. Also, we sutured his stomach to his abdominal wall to prevent this from happening again. After 6 weeks of no activity to let the sutures heal fully, we trained as normal and he earned his HRCH 6 months after his surgery. Looking back on it, there was nothing unusaul about what we did that evening and I cannot point to anything in particular that caused the GDV.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned...

Dogs that were once able to "eat everything" can become more susceptible to bloat as they get older.

Amy

Thanks for posting - I posted about intestinal twisting several months back - my 6.5 year old yellow lab had intestinal twist while on the way to an event and luckily I noticed the pain and we reach an emergency critical care doctor on the road....just last Thursday 9/19 the intestines started to twist again - starting with bloat. Another surgery and thankfully he is pulling through...
    This last time I only had a very faint hint of a problem but took action fast and got him to an emergency surgeon.
    If anyone would like to see the video or pictures of his x-rays please dont hesitate to email me at muddypaws@me.com