The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs on doves

Default Dogs on doves

image.jpgHow many use their labs on dove hunts? And does your dog have a hard time smelling them if they run?
    Last edited by quackaholic; 08-15-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Add pic

Well believe it or not, some of us choose not to have LABS.....so I cannot speak about Labs....but I can tell you that my Golden hunts Dove with me most every year, and she can find them in heavy cover with no problems.....

Course with all Retrievers you have to watch the heat! Accordingly, I do most of my hunting at sun up, and leave the afternoon hunting to others, unless it is a cooler than normal day....

Great work for them!!!

It sometimes takes some experience for the dog to understand what he's looking for. I've had a couple that had retrieved lot's of pigeons in training (same family of bird) but their first time hunting doves, they were baffled. I remember one actually had his paw on a dove but didn't seem to know it was there.

Just a few tossed for him however & he became spectacular on them.

Don't forget to rinse his mouth after every retrieve when hunting dove. The feathers come off easily & that's got to be unpleasant on a hot day.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Mine picks up a lot of doves. Not a lot of duck work to be had around here. I like to shoot em at ponds for water work. Some afternoons he has a tough time, even when he has a solid mark. I believe it is due to feathers in his mouth not allowing him to trail cripples.
    And sorry if I offend all the other retrievers out there. None meant to the poodles, Germans, or any other breed. Lol

The first year I took my dog she hated getting the feathers in her mouth so she would retrieve them by the wing tip it was hilariious to watch. The next year we went and didnt have any problems.
    Also as Swampcollielover said watch for overheating. I use C9 Hydration by sportdog.I keep her in the shade and i also use one of those cooling devices you can soak in cool water and tie that around her neck.
    Watch for Rattlesnakes!!

I hunt my chessies on doves. They do a good job on them. I keep plenty of cool water available to them while hunting.

Some dogs are amazing on doves, and some seem clueless about how to find them. We've had both Labs and Chesapeakes that were brilliant.

Amy Dahl

Im taking my 14 month old on her first dove hunt in a few weeks

only planning to hunt in the morning unless we get a big cold front.

What's the verdict on 'cool vests'?

Until Maggie passed last spring, I took her dove hunting every season. Feathers didn't seem to bother her; she would have a mouthful of feathers after giving me the dove, but didn't mind at all. Always took plenty of water and made sure she didn't overheat. One thing I noticed--she had a much harder time finding doves as the hunt went on. I suspect she got confused as more bird scent got on the ground. I'm getting a pup the last of this month, hope to take her on a light hunt this winter--maybe wait 'til next year, though.