The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmitt or Grady

Default Emmitt or Grady

Just wondering what people think of Emmitt and Grady. I'm looking at upcoming litters by both of them, trying to make up my mind. They are both bred to MH titled females.

I have a Grady X QAA pup that I adore. He is smart , sensitive, willing with drive. He REALLY wants to do the right thing
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Just wondering what people think of Emmitt and Grady. I'm looking at upcoming litters by both of them, trying to make up my mind. They are both bred to MH titled females.
    I have had the pleasure to own and train pups sired by both Emmitt and Grady.
    The Grady dog is now almost three. A very good marking dog, high prey drive, and very trainable. He is now owned by a member of our training group who happens to be in the Retriever Hall of Fame. He loves the dog.
    I currently am training an Emmitt sired dog. This pup turned eight months yesterday. A very good marking dog also. Prey drive is extremely high. Always wants to do one more set-up. Doing very nice work for such a young dog. A repeat breeding has taken place and I am getting another male from that litter.
    Grady has proven himself as a top notch stud. Emmitt does not have too many litters yet but from what I have been hearing most of the litters are very good.
    Good luck.

The female brings a lot. Consider either sire with an FC, AFC or a QAA dam.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    The female brings a lot. Consider either sire with an FC, AFC or a QAA dam.
    Because apparently an MH means nothing.

No, not nothing, but I think the other 3 are harder to obtain, therefore more desirable.

If you had 2 litters to choose from, 1 is NFC X MH and the other is NFC X FC which would you choose?
    Last edited by John Lash; 09-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    John Lash

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

True, but the two I'm looking at are MH and the Grady is $1000 more.

I have a 14 month old Grady male out of a GRHRCH MH female that is with Brett Freeman at The Retriever Academy. Right now the sky seems to be the limit. He marks well, handles well, and is always wanting more. He isn't a complete nut either. He is a taller dog and looks a lot like Grady, once he fills out should be quite a good looking fella.
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    No, not nothing, but I think the other 3 are harder to obtain, therefore more desirable.

If you had 2 litters to choose from, 1 is NFC X MH and the other is NFC X FC which would you choose?

Join DateFeb 2010Posts319

A NFC x FC litter is not available to just anybody. Most of us find out about them when the dogs are already competing. They're saved for a selective group of people. Sorry but I had to take this off of my chest.
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Tony,

They're harder to get but not unobtainable. It usually means getting on a waiting list, probably even for years.

To the OP, depending on your goals, it's usually best to buy the best you can afford. Of course with dogs the most expensive doesn't always turn out to be the best dog. Sires bring half to the mating and dams bring half. Maybe the dams you're looking at have had previous litters. Maybe the breedings are repeats and you can look at how the previous pups turned out. You can research the pedigrees, maybe the dams litter mates have had similar breedings. How did their pups do?

In the end you make your choice and hopefully you'll get a great pup. Depending on your goals, the pup and how it's raised and trained.

Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by John Lash; 09-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    John Lash