The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmitt or Grady

The dam may have an MH as opposed to a QAA or a FT title, but look at her pedigree further back and the bitches in that pedigree. That to me, may be more important than what the actual dam has done. Her bloodline is the same whether she has done anything in addition to the MH or not...
    Bill Davis

Thanks everybody for all your advice, I've decided to go with the Grady litter. I know it's $1000 more but the the dam is MH MNH4 and is out fc afc parents top and bottom. Once again thanks, I've been debating for a while.

i always thought grady was very funny on 'sanford and son'. emmitt(clark) who ran the fix it shop in mayberry on the 'andy griffith show' was funny too. but emmitt's exposure was limited and he never became as popular as floyd the barber. between the two, i like grady!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    The dam may have an MH as opposed to a QAA or a FT title, but look at her pedigree further back and the bitches in that pedigree. That to me, may be more important than what the actual dam has done. Her bloodline is the same whether she has done anything in addition to the MH or not...
    true. But the temperment of the dam is very important IMHO. If the dam is a very soft soft female, there will be puppies in the litter that certainly match her personality. I have bypassed very well bred litters outof soft, mealy Females. I want biddable. I will take sensitive and intelligent. But I don't want them peeing on my floor I raise my voice to them.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    true. But the temperment of the dam is very important IMHO. If the dam is a very soft soft female, there will be puppies in the litter that certainly match her personality. I have bypassed very well bred litters outof soft, mealy Females. I want biddable. I will take sensitive and intelligent. But I don't want them peeing on my floor I raise my voice to them.
    I agree with that, Susan. Hopefully, most MH's won't pee on the floor when one raises their voice
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Tony,

They're harder to get but not unobtainable. It usually means getting on a waiting list, probably even for years.

To the OP, depending on your goals, it's usually best to buy the best you can afford. Of course with dogs the most expensive doesn't always turn out to be the best dog. Sires bring half to the mating and dams bring half. Maybe the dams you're looking at have had previous litters. Maybe the breedings are repeats and you can look at how the previous pups turned out. You can research the pedigrees, maybe the dams litter mates have had similar breedings. How did their pups do?
    In the end you make your choice and hopefully you'll get a great pup. Depending on your goals, the pup and how it's raised and trained.

Good luck with your choice.
    Doing a repeat that produced well the first time is a good bet regardless of whether the dam was FC, AFC or MH, heck you could have a great producing dam who isn't even titled.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    So you're saying "Breed dogs, not titles."

Both breedings are repeat. The emmitt litter just produced the oregon bird dog challenge winner, and the bitch is only SH titled, sorry my eyes played tricks on me, but she's proving to be a producer as other pups from that litter are doing well. You can look up the winner on Facebook , the dogs name is diesel dirtydog mills. The Grady pup is by chacha from castile creek kennels with lyle steinman. It's also a repeat breeding but the litter is to young to compete at the moment.

I would base my decision more on the female than the stud. If you like the bitch enough to want a pup from her then trust the owner to pick the stud.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I would base my decision more on the female than the stud. If you like the bitch enough to want a pup from her then trust the owner to pick the stud.
    What an excellent reply. I am glad to see all the posts reminding puppy buyers to look at the bitch -- who she is, what she has done, and what's behind her.
    Helen