The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmitt or Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Y'all people are funny. It doesn't matter what breeding or who trains the dog, you have to have THE dog. It's always funny how people assume with this trainer that every dog will work. Not remotely close.

Where is the like button???
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Y'all people are funny. It doesn't matter what breeding or who trains the dog, you have to have THE dog. It's always funny how people assume with this trainer that every dog will work. Not remotely close.
    Will someone translate this for me

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Y'all is plural, ya'll would be singular.THE dog would be anything but yellow . Other than that can't say.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Will someone translate this for me

john
    LSU is gonna win on Saturday. The Saints will win the Superbowl. Mr. Danny is the best trainer ever. (I think that's what he said)
    Bill Davis

I agree with the LSU prediction and have my fingers crossed on the Saints! I'm gonna take a stab at it! I know Jacob and I agree with a bunch of his bold comments! I think he believes that regardless of the breeding or the training if you don't have a dog with that special something then the other stuff may not matter. During my many years involved in coaching it was easier to find underachievers than overachievers. I would think there are plenty of dogs out there that may be talented enough but don't get the opportunity to shine; however, there are plenty that just don't have it. In general you can't put in what isn't there.

Im confused, so training isn't important? Thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    I agree with the LSU prediction and have my fingers crossed on the Saints! I'm gonna take a stab at it! I know Jacob and I agree with a bunch of his bold comments! I think he believes that regardless of the breeding or the training if you don't have a dog with that special something then the other stuff may not matter. During my many years involved in coaching it was easier to find underachievers than overachievers. I would think there are plenty of dogs out there that may be talented enough but don't get the opportunity to shine; however, there are plenty that just don't have it. In general you can't put in what isn't there.
    In general I might agree with you but, there are those who maximize the available talent regardless of pedigree. & there are those who manage, on a regular basis, to minimize the product they place in competition.

The maximizers are few & far between - one has a training grounds named after him, one left the sport to also succeed in pointers & the third had a series of dogs, five in all, named Chip, White Shoes, Carbon, Chopper & Emmitt that he started as pups who were fairly successful with no washouts.

I'm sure there are others who meet the maximizer criteria & numerous who meet the minimizer criteria with many in between. & some who got lucky for a while .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I absolutely agree that good training is important and often brings out the most in a dog, horse, athlete, etc. I was not implying that it doesn't just making an observation as to what Jacob posted; however, you have to have something to start with.
    Last edited by coachmo; 09-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Dang I almost bought one from that litter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danis View Post
    I have a Grady pup that is 20 months old and we got our MH title at 18 months. The Dam is a MH female that I have known for 8 years now. She is my trainers personal female. For 3 years I practically begged him to breed her to Grady. He finally did and the pup I got out of the litter is more than I expected. Like others have said the female side of the equation is really important. The title she may or may not have isn't necessarily an indicator of what the pups will turn out to be like. I was lucky and had the chance to see my pup's Dam train, run, hunt and even work with some of the pups she has thrown.

Oh wow!!!
    With all due respect here. It can matter what breeding, and it can matter who trains or owns the dog. You can quite often find poorly thought out breedings or even breedings that look to be a sure thing that bust. Breeding Labs is a business where great nicks are never guaranteed. I have a buddy that paid BIG bucks for a Lean Mac x FC/AFC pup that was washed out by two pros. Another guy (near and dear to my heart) bred a well bred MH bitch to a hot FC/AFC sire that had a few trial folks interested in his breeding but a couple of the interested parties opted for a similar breeding out of an FC bitch. Said the "MH wasn't a guarantee that the bitch had talent".The MH breeding produced 3 FCs and 2 QAA pups while the FC bitch bred to the same sire produced nada!!!

It's quite possible that any given quality (on paper) breeding could produce "the" dog that could be with "the" wrong owner or "the" wrong trainer. The pedigrees and/or abilities of both sire and dam are not the only things that need to nick!!! It's always a crap shoot, but Id go with the best potential pedigree that has a solid bitchline full of both proven female producers and/or competitors.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 09-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!