RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Emmitt or Grady

28K views 76 replies 55 participants last post by  JasonJ 
#1 ·
Just wondering what people think of Emmitt and Grady. I'm looking at upcoming litters by both of them, trying to make up my mind. They are both bred to MH titled females.

#45 ·
More likely it's because pup prices usually reflect the stud fee Grady's fee is pretty steep ~$1000 more than most other FC etc. but he's hot right now and has shown that he can produce, and people line up to pay the price for a pup.

#46 ·
I know , if I had the money , I would pay 2-3 x the amount I spent on MY Grady pup. He is almost 2 and you could not buy him from me , now

#47 ·
when all is said and done years from now, maybe even a decade from now, Grady may end up being the "Lean Mac" of this millenium

#48 ·
I bred my yellow firebreather to Grade and kept one of the pups for myself, (both are in my avatar). What I got was the drive and intelligence of both ma and pa but the control that everyone wants in their dog. The pups are just a year old now and two are running derbys and there could be a third by this spring. I am almost as excited to see how the other two do as I am my own. Both my dogs make me look good, I couldn't be happier with my Grady pup.

#50 ·
I own an 11 month female out of Grady, and she is a ton of fun, dynamite on the line a sweetheart at home.

I had been around my pups mother and I had worked with my pups mothers father, both excellent dogs out of Rebel with cause. so when the decision was made to breed to Grady I had to have one of the pups. When I was researching the Grady line it was pretty standard to read "team player" , eager to please, good marker". I have found all of this to be true, ten fold.

Not taking anything away from from Emmet, I haven't been around an Emmet pup , yet. But in my opinion you cant go wrong with Grady.

#51 ·
Read the events sections from this past weekend ohiodogman and look at the derby placements for yourself.
Or at the 108 Qaa dogs he has produced in the past 5 years. We should be charging much more!!
What I think is funny is listening to the Internet gossip from people who have never seen Gman run even at almost ten and half a lung he has more heart than most can ever imagine. He ran a 500 yd water blind today with three whistles and I threw about 6 walking singles while wick my 4 yr old son handled Grady on the line, launching and receiving the birds.
Chad

#55 ·
I bred my QAA Ranger bitch to Grady a little less than two years ago, had 13 puppies, and plan to repeat it (if Chad is willing). The most of the puppies have loads of horsepower, have lots of heart, are smart, biddable, and easy to train. Some have derby points, a couple of Jammed Q's, gotten senior titles, one has passed some Master HTs, and only three of them have had pro training. I have heard they have nice personalities. I know mine does. He really is my favorite dog.

#61 ·
I could read the sarcasm before I saw the dog.! Mi Cris Sailor- wow- I'd love to learn about him. When I was a kid, our female was bred to a MiCris Sailor son ( Sailors Dark Secret). The produce was my childhood friend, Nitro.
If you would email me, Id love to hear more about him.
watrspk@clearwire.net

#58 ·
Interesting. I was just going through the sample Stud report put out by Retriever Results

Looks like Grady had one litter that is about 6 and among the rest the oldest are about 5 now. Looks like the majority are 3 or younger though. Of 394 dogs, 100 are QAA. I count 1 NAFC, 7 FCs and 5 AFCs. Total points: 155.5 Open, 139 Amateur and 1439 Derby

The HT numbers don't seem to tie since they show for example in a column labeled "Master Passes" no more than one but many of those dogs have MH in their names, so Master Passes may mean MH title. However some don't but that could be failure to update the name on the entries. So either there are 82 MH dogs out of this or jsut a bunch.

It is a pretty cool report.

#62 ·
We're making some updates to the report which you'll see in a couple of days. we're going to include the number of passes for each HT stake and let the titles show up in the dog's name (where they belong).

Comments on the report are more than welcome. Based on the number of orders we've received from stud dog owners, I suspect you'll be seeing quite a few of them!

#60 ·
My Grady pup has 4 JH and 4 Sh and the report has one for each , so i am thinking it is titles not passes

#63 ·
First of all you can polish a Turd but in the end you just have a polished Turd.

Second there are lots more unpolished turds than polished turds

Third you could could spend 3000 $ and have no more talent than a $275 back yard breeding

Forth I have one of those $275 back yard dogs that hasn't failed a HT since she turned 2. She is QAIA and had AA points as a 3 yr old.

Fifth that $275 dog was much like winning the powerball after buying my first lottery ticket.

6th if I wouldn't have asked for help training her when I knew I needed it I wouldn't have the same dog that I have today.

BTW all my dogs since have cost a lot more because i believe any one man can only have so much luck in one lifetime. Now I know how to stack the deck.
Dog, Training, luck. IMO

#66 ·
only for golden retrievers and chesapeakes..lol

#68 ·
I know that I sure like my Grady sired pup and would take 10 more just like him if I could. I do not know much about Emmitt but I have heard great things about his offspring as well but then again it depends on the female both are being bred to, like has been stated already.

#71 · (Edited)
The performance records are very good and Retriever Results puts them in an easily digestible format. You should be able to see which sire/dam combinations produced dogs that perform well. With that information, you can find similar breedings where the dam has a similar lineage to one from a previous breeding. So Emmit vs. Grady is not as important as which upcoming breeding is similar to (or a repeat of) a previuosly successful one. While there are no guarantees, I think it improves your chances of getting a pup that performs. Performance is only one factor, so you might talk to people with pups from these previous breedings to see if there are any other particular desireable or undersirable traits.

One of the reasons I chose Grady to breed my Ranger daughter to because of the success of similar breedings to other Ranger daughters. Success to me was more than just performance. Appearance, attitude, health, and style also played into the decision. Based on the success of the first breeding, I chose to repeat it. The first litter is 2.6 yo and the second 4 months. Time will tell if the repeat is as good as the first.

#72 ·
For my self, i bread my NMH 2xGMH female name Cruise (FC FTCH AFTCH ralph X FTCH AFTCH Maddy) to Grady and some are running with great result in field trial and many in Hunt test.
I look forward breeding again to Grady this fall......of course female has something to say in the breeding but Grady show outstanding breeding record.

#73 ·
I have young dogs out of both. Both are nice young dogs.

The advantage of using Grady, as Steve mentioned is that there is much more track record. Not many of Emmitt pups have made it to AA success yet. Not that they won't but there just aren't a lot that are old enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.