RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Emmitt or Grady

28K views 76 replies 55 participants last post by  JasonJ 
#1 ·
Just wondering what people think of Emmitt and Grady. I'm looking at upcoming litters by both of them, trying to make up my mind. They are both bred to MH titled females.

#2 ·
I have a Grady X QAA pup that I adore. He is smart , sensitive, willing with drive. He REALLY wants to do the right thing

#3 ·
I have had the pleasure to own and train pups sired by both Emmitt and Grady.
The Grady dog is now almost three. A very good marking dog, high prey drive, and very trainable. He is now owned by a member of our training group who happens to be in the Retriever Hall of Fame. He loves the dog.
I currently am training an Emmitt sired dog. This pup turned eight months yesterday. A very good marking dog also. Prey drive is extremely high. Always wants to do one more set-up. Doing very nice work for such a young dog. A repeat breeding has taken place and I am getting another male from that litter.
Grady has proven himself as a top notch stud. Emmitt does not have too many litters yet but from what I have been hearing most of the litters are very good.
Good luck.

#4 ·
The female brings a lot. Consider either sire with an FC, AFC or a QAA dam.

#6 · (Edited)
No, not nothing, but I think the other 3 are harder to obtain, therefore more desirable.

If you had 2 litters to choose from, 1 is NFC X MH and the other is NFC X FC which would you choose?

#9 ·
Join DateFeb 2010Posts319

A NFC x FC litter is not available to just anybody. Most of us find out about them when the dogs are already competing. They're saved for a selective group of people. Sorry but I had to take this off of my chest.

#8 ·
I have a 14 month old Grady male out of a GRHRCH MH female that is with Brett Freeman at The Retriever Academy. Right now the sky seems to be the limit. He marks well, handles well, and is always wanting more. He isn't a complete nut either. He is a taller dog and looks a lot like Grady, once he fills out should be quite a good looking fella.

#10 · (Edited)
Tony,

They're harder to get but not unobtainable. It usually means getting on a waiting list, probably even for years.

To the OP, depending on your goals, it's usually best to buy the best you can afford. Of course with dogs the most expensive doesn't always turn out to be the best dog. Sires bring half to the mating and dams bring half. Maybe the dams you're looking at have had previous litters. Maybe the breedings are repeats and you can look at how the previous pups turned out. You can research the pedigrees, maybe the dams litter mates have had similar breedings. How did their pups do?

In the end you make your choice and hopefully you'll get a great pup. Depending on your goals, the pup and how it's raised and trained.

Good luck with your choice.

#16 ·
Tony,

They're harder to get but not unobtainable. It usually means getting on a waiting list, probably even for years.

To the OP, depending on your goals, it's usually best to buy the best you can afford. Of course with dogs the most expensive doesn't always turn out to be the best dog. Sires bring half to the mating and dams bring half. Maybe the dams you're looking at have had previous litters. Maybe the breedings are repeats and you can look at how the previous pups turned out. You can research the pedigrees, maybe the dams litter mates have had similar breedings. How did their pups do?
In the end you make your choice and hopefully you'll get a great pup. Depending on your goals, the pup and how it's raised and trained.

Good luck with your choice.
Doing a repeat that produced well the first time is a good bet regardless of whether the dam was FC, AFC or MH, heck you could have a great producing dam who isn't even titled.

#11 ·
The dam may have an MH as opposed to a QAA or a FT title, but look at her pedigree further back and the bitches in that pedigree. That to me, may be more important than what the actual dam has done. Her bloodline is the same whether she has done anything in addition to the MH or not...

#14 ·
true. But the temperment of the dam is very important IMHO. If the dam is a very soft soft female, there will be puppies in the litter that certainly match her personality. I have bypassed very well bred litters outof soft, mealy Females. I want biddable. I will take sensitive and intelligent. But I don't want them peeing on my floor I raise my voice to them.

#13 ·
i always thought grady was very funny on 'sanford and son'. emmitt(clark) who ran the fix it shop in mayberry on the 'andy griffith show' was funny too. but emmitt's exposure was limited and he never became as popular as floyd the barber. between the two, i like grady!

#18 ·
Both breedings are repeat. The emmitt litter just produced the oregon bird dog challenge winner, and the bitch is only SH titled, sorry my eyes played tricks on me, but she's proving to be a producer as other pups from that litter are doing well. You can look up the winner on Facebook , the dogs name is diesel dirtydog mills. The Grady pup is by chacha from castile creek kennels with lyle steinman. It's also a repeat breeding but the litter is to young to compete at the moment.

#20 ·
What an excellent reply. I am glad to see all the posts reminding puppy buyers to look at the bitch -- who she is, what she has done, and what's behind her.
Helen

#21 ·
The bitch line is what really pushed me over the edge for which litter to go for. Chacha is SRS HRCH MH MNH4 titled, but I watched her run on when she won the SRS in Stuttgart, Arkansas and she was great. She marked excellent and runs blinds great. Easy dog to handle on blinds.

#23 ·
There you go then, you've seen the dam and like her, you know Grady's record, now do the best you can by the pup and enjoy the ride. I've not seen any Emmitt pups yet, but quite a few Grady, and have two of my own, I like 'em just fine. :)

#24 ·
I searched high and low for a Grady dog and waited longer than I anticipated. I am not disappointed, everything I wanted and was looking for. Grady X QAA pup, 17 weeks. She is very intelligent, willing to learn, nice on and off switch for a pup! Lot's of comments on how nice she looks ;)

#28 ·
I have a Grady pup that is 20 months old and we got our MH title at 18 months. The Dam is a MH female that I have known for 8 years now. She is my trainers personal female. For 3 years I practically begged him to breed her to Grady. He finally did and the pup I got out of the litter is more than I expected. Like others have said the female side of the equation is really important. The title she may or may not have isn't necessarily an indicator of what the pups will turn out to be like. I was lucky and had the chance to see my pup's Dam train, run, hunt and even work with some of the pups she has thrown.

#29 ·
Everyone has a Grady pup. For as much as he has been bred he should have some nice offspring on the ground. I seen several and what I've observed is that the training/home it receives is the ultimate factor. I believe the playing field is even when it comes to these two studs, look for what the bitch can offer. But it really doesn't matter how much you pay or how awesome the pedigree looks if the pups don't end up in the right hands. I would love to have a pup out of both bred to a NDL QAA bitch. The training they receive is what counts all the other stuff is bonus.

#31 ·
Where is the like button??? ;-)

#33 ·
Y'all is plural, ya'll would be singular.THE dog would be anything but yellow :). Other than that can't say.

Jeff

#35 ·
I agree with the LSU prediction and have my fingers crossed on the Saints! I'm gonna take a stab at it! I know Jacob and I agree with a bunch of his bold comments! I think he believes that regardless of the breeding or the training if you don't have a dog with that special something then the other stuff may not matter. During my many years involved in coaching it was easier to find underachievers than overachievers. I would think there are plenty of dogs out there that may be talented enough but don't get the opportunity to shine; however, there are plenty that just don't have it. In general you can't put in what isn't there.

#37 ·
I agree with the LSU prediction and have my fingers crossed on the Saints! I'm gonna take a stab at it! I know Jacob and I agree with a bunch of his bold comments! I think he believes that regardless of the breeding or the training if you don't have a dog with that special something then the other stuff may not matter. During my many years involved in coaching it was easier to find underachievers than overachievers. I would think there are plenty of dogs out there that may be talented enough but don't get the opportunity to shine; however, there are plenty that just don't have it. In general you can't put in what isn't there.
In general I might agree with you but, there are those who maximize the available talent regardless of pedigree. & there are those who manage, on a regular basis, to minimize the product they place in competition.

The maximizers are few & far between - one has a training grounds named after him, one left the sport to also succeed in pointers & the third had a series of dogs, five in all, named Chip, White Shoes, Carbon, Chopper & Emmitt that he started as pups who were fairly successful with no washouts.

I'm sure there are others who meet the maximizer criteria & numerous who meet the minimizer criteria with many in between. & some who got lucky for a while :).

#44 ·
Just a guess, but I am guessing it is due to the dam that Grady was bred to hence why the extra 1000 thrown in there. I may be totally wrong and haven't read the entire thread. But I see where the dam is Chacha and she has more than proven herself in competition. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.