The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Hunting Test Judges' Requirements--Seminar

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default AKC Hunting Test Judges' Requirements--Seminar

Is anyone else having issues with finding judges who have met all requirements for being approved to judge AKC Hunting Tests, and when the judge's name is submitted to the AKC for approval the judge is in need of the second seminar. The seminars are held throughout the country, but it can be hard to find one in time to get the person "approved" for 2013 assignments. It could mean waiting for almost a year for a seminar to be held within reasonable driving distance of said judge. For example, I asked someone from MT to judge and the only AKC seminars listed for the remainder of 2013 (when I checked) are in CA and TX.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Is anyone else having issues with finding judges who have met all requirements for being approved to judge AKC Hunting Tests, and when the judge's name is submitted to the AKC for approval the judge is in need of the second seminar. The seminars are held throughout the country, but it can be hard to find one in time to get the person "approved" for 2013 assignments. It could mean waiting for almost a year for a seminar to be held within reasonable driving distance of said judge. For example, I asked someone from MT to judge and the only AKC seminars listed for the remainder of 2013 (when I checked) are in CA and TX.
    Yup, had that problem this past year...not to mention the requirements to be a judge is confusing as all get out!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Ann
    AKC seminar at BRC ASAP.
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

We didn't have this problem when judges had to take a seminar every 3 years. We saw it creating an issue when they initiated the judges test after 2 seminars. If those who are the active ones in clubs don't need one, most likely there won't be one scheduled. PLUS the pool of judges keeps getting smaller since we aren't making new judges but having the seminars often enough.

Sure wish AKC would remove the judges renewal test in favor of more seminars. I think it is ruining our sport.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    Ann
    AKC seminar at BRC ASAP.
    If there is one, please let me know. I find the new judging requirements overly odious as it is, but now finding a seminar in reasonable distance has become problematic
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

And it's not getting any easier with the new requirements to judge twice at each lower level before moving up plus apprentice. Our club tries to recruite "new blood" whom we think will make good judges. But it's asking a lot. It also means we have to 2 more judges as the new judges can only do a single assignment. I'm all for improving the quality and consistency of HT judges but I'm not convinced the new rules are the better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    And it's not getting any easier with the new requirements to judge twice at each lower level before moving up plus apprentice.

This rule is killing new judges in our area. With the rule of Apprentice Jr, judge twice then Move up to Sr, then up to Master. In our area with the amount of tests and what not it would take someone 3 + years to be able to judge Master. That is of course they do not want to handle a dog at some point along the way and Judge every test. The end result is that the few Master Judges we do have in our area are way over worked. On paper the rule makes sense, but for areas where there are not a lot of events and Judges it is hurting us more then helping us.

Our board has been discussing this lately in depth, sometype of change needs to happen. I don't think that a guy that has passed on test should be able to judge, but people that have titled dogs at that level should be able to judge at that level.
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Ann, The only seminar this year was at CMRC. Next year both CV and Duluth/MIRRC will be holding them.

The rotation among the clubs has worked pretty well, but our judges need to be on top of their status too. We had to inform 2 they needed their 2nd seminar and 1 his test.

If BH want to co-host with CV next year, I think that would work well. See ya Friday.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

There are a number of people like me up here, folks who have quite a bit of experience judging field trials, decades in most cases, most of us are and were hunters before we ran field trials, many including myself brought dogs up through the AKC and other hunt test ranks to title dogs at all levels, many of us have attended more than one AKC hunt test seminar, yet we are unable to help out local club out when asked to judge even a Junior Hunter stake because we haven't apprenticed. I know the Missoula Club cancelled their Spring hunt test due partly to there not being any local hunt test judges available, yet there are many qualified but for the stupid apprentice requirement. Field Trial judges have way less stringent requirements.

John

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    Ann
    AKC seminar at BRC ASAP.
    I believe Blackhawk is on the list to host the organized Greater MN Hunting Test Association seminar in February 2013. Would be nice, if there is interest, for a club in our area (WI, MN) to offer one yet this summer to pick up the people who would like to judge this year but are in need of a seminar. I will see if I can copy the AKC Hunting Test judging requirements here so everyone can read them. Also, I have been told that there is a Retriever Advisory Council (RAC) for Hunting Tests. I will post up who those folks are, if I still have that information. I read the post about the lack of judges in some of the more remote areas of the country. I had not thought about the impact of the requirements for those areas--even more difficult to host tests, apprentice, get approved to judge, and find judges there than we are experiencing in WI and MN.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.