The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting

Default Duck Hunting

Ok so I took my Lab to a kennel to be obedience trained and to retrieve dove. I never hunted ducks until last week and now I'm hooked. I wanted to start training my Lab to retrieve duck. Since he's already obedience and has some hunting experience I think I could do it myself. I know that its more difficult to retrieve ducks so I wanted to get some recommendations on what books or DVDs to get? I'm wanting to do the whistle and hand direction for blind retrieves.

Thanks

You are on the right track! Get a program like Evan Graham's SmartWorks Gun Dog Essentials and follow it from start to finish. I know your dog has some obedience, but revisiting this with the program will get you the best results. Don't cut corners or skip steps. Demand the highest standards from your dog at each step before moving forward.

Best wishes!
    Erik B
    "Dogs have all the qualities God said man should have but don't:
    Faithfulness, Steadfastness, Dependability, Loyalty, Forgiveness, Devotion, Hope, and Love!
    "

Definitely follow a standard waterfowl retriever program such as Mike Lardy or Evan Graham, and hook up with a group a amateur hunt test/field trial guys to train with. To be a good journeyman hunting retriever, your dog will have to learn to:

- Sit quietly and remain steady to the shot.
    - Watch birds as the approach and mark them as they fall.
    - Handle on blind retrieves when he or she isn't able to mark the bird.
    - Go when sent and retrieve the bird.
    - Snuggle up against your knee on icy cold mornings.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 09-25-2013 at 03:59 PM.

I am in the process of training my second dog (hes almost 7 months now) and I am using a combination of smartworks and sporting dog by wildrose. I highly advice these two. Good luck and have fun

For a duck dog, check out duck dog basics 1 & 2 by Chris Akin. Very simple and meets the needs.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Quote Originally Posted by spanish13 View Post
    Ok so I took my Lab to a kennel to be obedience trained and to retrieve dove. I never hunted ducks until last week and now I'm hooked. I wanted to start training my Lab to retrieve duck. Since he's already obedience and has some hunting experience I think I could do it myself. I know that its more difficult to retrieve ducks so I wanted to get some recommendations on what books or DVDs to get? I'm wanting to do the whistle and hand direction for blind retrieves.

Thanks
    You will get the same advice here that Me and others gave you on the THF. Mike Lardy's and Evan Graham's programs are good. I prefer Lardy's, click on the Total Retriever Training banner at the top of this site and all the answers to your questions will be in his program.

Also I didn't ask on THF but if your dog was trained to retrieve dove why isn't he trained for duck. It's the same kind of work. I'm assuming your dog was just obiedience trained with some puppy level marking thrown in. Was he force fetched, forced to the pile? Is he steady, is he collar conditioned? Who did the training? Knowing that info will help with where you need to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck18 View Post
    You will get the same advice here that Me and others gave you on the THF. Mike Lardy's and Evan Graham's programs are good. I prefer Lardy's, click on the Total Retriever Training banner at the top of this site and all the answers to your questions will be in his program.

Also I didn't ask on THF but if your dog was trained to retrieve dove why isn't he trained for duck. It's the same kind of work. I'm assuming your dog was just obiedience trained with some puppy level marking thrown in. Was he force fetched, forced to the pile? Is he steady, is he collar conditioned? Who did the training? Knowing that info will help with where you need to start.
    He was trained by Buck Ryckman of Ryckman kennels in Boerne, Texas. I wasnt into duck huting and never thought I would try it but I did now I'm hooked. He is obiedience trained. He was not forced fetched but I have yet to have a problem with him retrieving a bird. I dont know what force to pile is can you expalin? He is steady and doesnt break and has been collared conditioned.

Huck, I just gotta say it...WaterDog

Quote Originally Posted by Ol_Yeller View Post
    Huck, I just gotta say it...WaterDog
    Haha. Just had to get it in there didn't you.

I would just say that if you are going to do it yourself you should talk to the pro that already worked with your dog and see what they suggest. I would find out as much info as possible about what training the dog has had and what program (if any) they were following. In particular I would want to know whether the dog had been force fetched and collar conditioned. I assume the dog was introduced to gunfire since it was trained to hunt doves. What about water? Does your dog handle? Good luck in whatever you do and don't use WaterDog.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy