The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derby - what to expect.

Default Derby - what to expect.

I am thinking of running Lab in Derby next Spring. I've tried to find the rules on what the test consist of. In a nut shell, can someone tell me what dog has to do.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (495 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (85 points - just getting started)

I've only run 3 derbies, but this is my take on it: There are 3 or 4 series, each consisting of double marks. Usually have a really long memory bird and a shorter flyer or go bird. Usually the first two series are mainly land or land with some water to get through. Then usually the 3rd and 4th series are mainly water based. The marks can be upwards of 250 to 350 or even 400 yards or so.

That's it in a nutshell, from what I've seen. One of the main challenges for the new derby dog, at least in my case, is to get dog to look at the long memory gun station instead of the very attractive, three white shirted guys with guns and bird crates at the short station.

Hope this helps,
    Jen

Ok- so just marks, no blinds?

We've been working with Penny to concentrate on the mark as the thrower is walking away.

Thank you Jen
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (495 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (85 points - just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Benton View Post
    Ok- so just marks, no blinds?

We've been working with Penny to concentrate on the mark as the thrower is walking away.

Thank you Jen
    I don't want to discourage you, but I would go and watch at least one Derby, and or, train with a field trail pro or amateur group before you enter one. Two double land marks and two double water marks sounds relatively easy, but believe me, most derbies are incredibly hard. They are designed to separate the very top marking dogs from the rest of the field that day. Over 90% of the dogs entered have been trained in a field trial program since they were very young, all working toward a goal of starting a derby somewhere between a year and 14 months, and competing to win between 18 and 20 months. The judges are adept at setting up test to challenge these talented, highly trained animals.

John

What to expect at a Derby? Usually profound disappointment...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Judges can and often do set up tests so that the gunner of the memory bird is out of sight while on the way to the memory bird but the gunner of the go bird is in plain sight. This is logarithmacally more effective on getting these pups to switch on water than on land but works on both.

Just something to train for.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    What to expect at a Derby? Usually profound disappointment...

There's a glass half empty response. How about a bunch of youngsters with alot of giddyap and go?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Having run as test dog in a derby, I would say you have to have a pretty darn good dog for some of those marks! Some of the dogs were exceptional and very well trained like it was second nature. Obvious they had been trained right from the get go. I would hang out with a group or day train with a pro to see what is expected. Go and watch a derby. There is lots involved! and it is very exciting! and fun!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Get with Orie Mathews on one of Big D's training day's and he can steer you in the right direction. I ran Kennedy in one derby and still have an incredible itch and desire to train dog #2 whenever that happens for nothing but derby's and QAA. Just saying, it is more addicting than hunt test in my opinion. I say try it and have fun. Penny is a good dog, just let her go.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

There's a glass half empty response. How about a bunch of youngsters with alot of giddyap and go?
    Agree and I'll ad to that by saying the two that I judged this summer had some very good dogs, to the point that a retired gun or another bird ( triple) may have gotten us some answers, maybe not. Everything we threw at them they did..