The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derby - what to expect.

Brian - we train with Orie all the time. She is doing 250 + yard marks pretty consistently.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (525 points and counting)
    HRCH GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (100 points - just getting started)

Penny is 11 months old and we were thinking about Derby's in the Spring of 2014. One thing about Penny- she loves to go.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (100 points - just getting started)

Sounds like some promise. Just make sure to practice setting up those tricky doubles where she has to look out and find that boring one guy in the shade 350 yards out who is hand throwing a dead bird. That guy will be hard to find because there will be three guys in freshly bleached white shinning in the sun handling a screaming mallard hen and a couple shot guns.

Oh yeah, good luck and celebrate every small victory! It's so much fun!!!! And no, I'm not saying that cause I get ribbons, cause I don't. Yet...

Patti,

We will be having a double DQ (2 Derbies in 2-3 days) on Oct 4th and 5th in Ravenna, TX. Ravenna is about an hour and a half from Flower Mound. You can see for your self and enjoy the beautiful grounds.

You can always run your dog in the hunting gun-dog setups to gain experience. They are similar.
    My penny worth.

BJ - we having been running UKC Hunt Tests since 1994. Penny is our 5th Lab to do this. She has so much potential we thought we'd try running a Derby. I ran Penny in Started last weekend at my clubs UKC Hunt Test. Her momma ran Finished. Penny gets the same or similar marks has the big dogs. About the only thing she doesn't get is the blinds. She not there yet on the handling stuff.
    Patti

Brandon - I'll have to see if we have plans. I'd like to come check out a Derby test.
    Patti

Quote Originally Posted by Patti Benton View Post
    BJ - we having been running UKC Hunt Tests since 1994. Penny is our 5th Lab to do this. She has so much potential we thought we'd try running a Derby. I ran Penny in Started last weekend at my clubs UKC Hunt Test. Her momma ran Finished. Penny gets the same or similar marks has the big dogs. About the only thing she doesn't get is the blinds. She not there yet on the handling stuff.
    I understand...When I was in the spot light years back, they also had a gundog setup as well as the derby in the same environment setting. Those who were thinking about derby had a change at the gundog setups. You could run them and there was no pass or fail. Two marks at various distances just like the derby. Same rules...

BJ

What to expect at a Derby? I asked this question right here on RTF 6 years ago. The response from one poster was "wear your asbestos underwear". Guess what, he was right!

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).