The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: First goose hunt with my dog

Default First goose hunt with my dog

This is probably long winded but it was my first goose hunt and I'm excited.
    Got the dog back a couple weeks ago and the trainer invited me and my buddy on a goose hunt this past Sunday with our dogs. It was my first ever goose hunt so that got me excited but it was also my first true hunt over Blue which got me super excited. Trainer took me on a dove hunt a few weeks back but we didnít get anything. Anyway, we had two dogs (both went through the training together) and started with the other dog so my dog didnít get my first ever goose but thatís alright. The brown dog wasnít sure what to do on her first live goose and my buddy had to go out and get it but she did fine on the other geese she was sent on.

At this point we had 4 geese down and went back to the truck to swap out dogs and sure enough, a couple geese land in the field so we had to put a stalk on them. We got one of them but it would be a blind retrieve for Blue since he wasnít able to see the birds at all. I lined him up, sent him and he started hunting short of where the bird was. All of a sudden the bird stands up and starts running off. Blue sees this and makes a B line for the bird as hard as Iíve ever seen him run. He tackled the bird, grabs and picks it up in one swift move. As he brings it back into my heel and drops it on command I think a tear rolled down my cheek. It was the greatest thing I had ever seen in real life. That was the only retrieve he got that day but man was it satisfying to watch!! Now Iíve just got to find some ducks for him!! What a fun sport to get into. The excitement of hearing and seeing the birds come swooping in is something else. Why have I not done this earlier in life!?!

Here are some pics from the hunt.

20130922_090450_zps701fe111.jpg9-22-13Goosehunt011_zpsda87ef87.jpg20130922_081748_zpsea24f4de.jpg
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Great Story!
    Good Job Blue!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Oh man! You have every right to be excited in my opinion. A first hunt and then to top it off a first hunt with your dog as well. I can only imagine the excitement that transpired. Good luck and here is to many many more hunts to the both of you.

You will always remember the first one. Good job

And now my friend you are hooked....It won’t be long before you hang up the gun and just go hunting to watch ole blue retrieve. Shooting birds is fun but there is no better feeling in the world than to see your dog in action and watch all of the hard work training and natural hunting abilities come together. If i had the choice to bring my dog or my gun when invited on a hunt its a no brainer at this point. Congrats and keep us posted on the new addiction and blues success.
    Drew Allain

Cajun Made King "Zeus"

Sweet! Congrats!!!
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Great story and memory for you.
    My avatar was Trap's first goose.

Can't wait for my turn! Great story and congrats on both firsts!

Thanks all!! It makes me proud on so many levels! I've never seen a dog hit fifth gear like that. Trainer said it looked like he had been doing it for five years.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade