The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanizize bumpers?

Default Sanizize bumpers?

I know it may sound odd but does anyone do anything to sterilize their bumpers? I wash them under clean hot tap water after use. I wouldn't think anything else is nessecary but thought I might as well ask. Thanks, Jim

Once in a while I will rinse in a mild bleach solution
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Probably a good idea, but I hate to admit I go years between cleaning my bumpers, and then only when they are so dirty they are hard for the dog to see.

I was gonna ask about a dilution of bleach, but I was just worried it would get the dog sick. I am one of those people who worry about the small details, and usually the worries are over thought. I was thinking about this and thought maybe it was something everyone did and I just wasn't aware of. I was mainly worried if I did not disinfect them my pup might get sick? Thanks for the replys, I think they will get cleaned tommorow.

My dogs eat rotten salmon and moose poop. Nope, never have sterilized my bumpers. Don

Of all the things to worry about with our dogs sanitizing bumpers is at the bottom of the list, I would worry more about alien abduction.

Eaxctly what Dr. Ed. says. If you're worrying about sanitizing bumpers you don't have enough going on in your life. Buy a couple more dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Of all the things to worry about with our dogs sanitizing bumpers is at the bottom of the list, I would worry more about alien abduction.
    are we talking about the southeast Asian type that uses them in a dietary vain, or the extra terrestrial type that uses speed of light transportation
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    12 post
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I've been wondering lately about the potential for disease spread through shared bumpers and birds.

It seems to me that one sick dog slobbering on a bird at a test or trial has the potential to infect a lot of dogs.

Sick dog slobbers on his flyer, flyer gets stuffed into a bag of birds that are reused over and over again, germy slobber distributed among many a bird retrieved by many a dog...

Hmmmm.

What say you, EdA, and other vets? I looked but could find nothing about fomites spreading disease such as Bordatella.
    Last edited by mitty; 09-25-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added fomite sentence
    Renee P