The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sanizize bumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    John, that washing machine is circa 1970 and bullet proof. The new ones aren't worth a flip for cleaning anything but clothes.
    I do clean mine occasionally but only to make them brighter and get the dirt off, figure any animal that can lick his own nuts is
    safe from most BBP (BUMPER BORN PATHAGENS)

Great line!
    I will call you a hunting partner when you jump in the freezing water and retrieve my ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I would worry more about alien abduction.
    SEE! Someone else worries about alien abduction of dogs. So I'm NOT crazy!!!
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    SEE! Someone else worries about alien abduction of dogs. So I'm NOT crazy!!!
    I hear alien voices!
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    You must not be married.
    My thoughts exactly.

I lost an amazing little puppy to Parvo despite my open wallet policy with the veterinarian. It was heartbreaking. When I got my next puppy I took a great number of precautions. If you research Parvo a little it'll make you paranoid. It's in the dirt. Vaccinated dogs can be unaffected carriers. Puppies are not immune until they have had the whole series of shots, so the initial vaccination is no guarantee. So among many other precautions, when I got my next puppy (only one since I lost the pup to parvo) I bought new puppy bumpers and did not let him use the ones my old dogs had used as pups. I also cleaned all of the old plastic bumpers by scrubbing them and using mild bleach. I did not let him use old canvas bumpers until he had been through the whole course of shots.

I'm quite sure that I seem silly to be worried about something that Dr. Ed is not, but if I lost another pup to that damned disease without doing everything I could think of to prevent it I would have been pretty hard on myself. Having said all of that, there is no way to protect a working dog from everything that can harm them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Of all the things to worry about with our dogs sanitizing bumpers is at the bottom of the list, I would worry more about alien abduction.
    Sanitizing bumpers must be a 0 out 10 issue!!!!Alien abduction a 2 out of 10!!Love it!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    i do this -
    This is 10 out of 10!!! I wouldn't do it but...Thanks Ken. It would ruin my machine.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Well long story short I thought of this because the pup had diarrhea yesterday morning, so I called the vet to see if we should bring her in and have her checked out. The vet said not to worry just yet and to make sure she had plenty of water so she did not dehydrate and wait a day or two and see how she was. She seems to have gotten back to normal stool wise. I was just thinking, maybe it would be a good idea so if there was germs on them that she wouldn't keep getting whatever it was that disturbed her back. Thanks for all the replys, not sure it was nessecary but I went ahead and cleaned them all just to be safe. Now back to her normal schedule of play a few fun bumpers and a little obedience. Thanks, James

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I'm not a vet. I did however spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express. Do not ever take a portable battery operated black light to your motel room!!!
    I had to google fomites. They were everywhere.

Every couple of years I take all bumpers and stack them loosley in milk crates and run them thru the sanitize cycle of the commercial dishwasher at the local steak house in the afternoon while the kitchen staff is on break.
    Note; does not work well with frozen birds. JD
    PS The patrons of said steak house seem mostly unaffected....
    Eww!
    Renee P

Someone needs to do a chemical analysis of dog slobber, and then produce a dish washing detergent based on its effective ingredients.

That stuff is better than anything out there!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    My dogs eat rotten salmon and moose poop. Nope, never have sterilized my bumpers. Don
    Yup, I have some nasty stuff go down my dogs face, I am not the least concerned , nor have I ever been, about cleaning a bumper!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman