The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sanizize bumpers?

Wash or rinse off after I've been grossed out by too much dog slobber - one of my dogs is a serious slimer (sic) of bumpers
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    This is 10 out of 10!!! I wouldn't do it but...Thanks Ken. It would ruin my machine.

they do kinda thumpity thump in the spin rinse cycle
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by pangborn83 View Post
    I know it may sound odd but does anyone do anything to sterilize their bumpers? I wash them under clean hot tap water after use. I wouldn't think anything else is nessecary but thought I might as well ask. Thanks, Jim
    When in my training group and we are using real dead birds for the third time, they tin get to be a little ripe, but to the dog they don't care. To answer your question....Why? Humans differ from dogs in a lot of ways. We think in our world to cleanse,but to a dog.......They know when not....

I haven't read the other posts when I posted this. Your dog will tell you and of course you need to reinforce for that moment, but then smile and do what is needed to reassure dog that you care

My penny worth.

The bird I always worry about is the pigeon. I go down wind and I get a full whiff. Disease in humans is common in humans from pigeons. Still, dogs seem to do well retrieving pigeons. Thus far, I've not acquired any pigeon disease yet either.

If you want to sanitize your bumpers, use a 1 to 10 Clorox solution. One cc of Clorox to 10 cc of water will kill most anything.

I have put mine in the dishwasher, not to sanitize them but because they were getting hard to see.........an no Im not married

I have never even thought of cleaning my bumpers... often wondered how to get the stick out of older Dokkens, but wasn't too successful at that.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com