The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate Mat

Default Crate Mat

I have a 7 month old BLF who is turning into an amazing dog both in he field and in the house. She behaves extremely well in the house, but I am having an issue in her crate. I have put two mud river crates pads in her kennel and she has chewed thru both (never chewed anything in the house). Any suggestions on crate pads that are chew proof?

No such thing : )

Chewers don't get crate mats.

Meredith

what mwk said. when my pup was young I went through a couple of those plastic trays for the wire kennel and he even started chewing the carpet underneath. I've since switched an enclosed plastic crate with no mat and couldn't be happier. he's older now and I may try to reintroduce something to keep him more comfortable. He didnt' chew up a mat I put in his kennel run when he was at the trainer.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post

Chewers don't get crate mats.

Meredith
    \
    Nothing more to add. Don

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Not a crate pad but a crate mat that is cut from a horse stall mat. I buy the large, weigh a ton, 3/4" horse stall mat and cut it to size with utility knife. Never ever had a dog chew throw it and it gives enough padding and insulation to get dog off the plastic. Just make sure to cut the mat to fix snug in the kennel, that along with the weight of the mat the dog will have a hard bending it at all to chew on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post

Meredith
    Yes there is. www.primopads.com These pads are vinyl with no stitching. They are individually made to the exact measurements of your crate, therefore, the dog can't get to the edges to chew. I have one of the pads in each hole of my 3 hole truck box and they have been there over a year with no chewing. They are very comfortable for the dog and do not soak up any water, so you dog will stay dryer.
    Last edited by David McCracken; 09-26-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number Seven View Post
    Not a crate pad but a crate mat that is cut from a horse stall mat. I buy the large, weigh a ton, 3/4" horse stall mat and cut it to size with utility knife. Never ever had a dog chew throw it and it gives enough padding and insulation to get dog off the plastic. Just make sure to cut the mat to fix snug in the kennel, that along with the weight of the mat the dog will have a hard bending it at all to chew on it.
    My chronic chewer got this. So far no chewing.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by David McCracken View Post
    Yes there is. www.primopads.com These pads are vinyl with no stitching. They are individually made to the exact measurements of your crate, therefore, the dog can't get to the edges to chew. I have one of the pads in each hole of my 3 hole truck box and they have been there over a year with no chewing. They are very comfortable for the dog and do not soak up any water, so you dog will stay dryer.
    So what happens to the water off of a wet dog? Does it pool on the mat? Does it run off and sit under the mat?

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by David McCracken View Post
    From the picture it looks as if the dog merely has to paw/dig at it to get ahold of an edge. It looks delicious!
    Renee P

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

[QUOTE]NON TOXIC.Our crate pads are safe for your beloved pet.We only use non-toxic closed cell foam inside a Primo Pad.Unlike open cell foam, which is used in most pet beds, our closed cell foam will not compress flat after use and it will not expand in your dogs stomach should he find a way to ingest his pad.No harmful gasses, so you can feel confident of your pet’s safety./QUOTE]

Sounds like the manufacturer knows of some chewing of their pads.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"