The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crate Mat

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    My chronic chewer got this. So far no chewing.
    I put these mats in my trailer for my dogs, they are great. A bit heavy to work with until you get them cut to size. They have a strong rubber smell to them new, but if you let them set on your drive way for a few days, that goes away. My dogs do not chew them, they are easy to clean, etc. Only $40 for one that will cut around 3 mats. You can find them at any Farm & Home store.

Stall mats or anti fatigue mats. Everything else is for show dogs.

The horse stall mat I got lasted about 2 months before the chewing and clawing continued. Small chunks of rubber mess everywhere!!

Heavy, heavy heavy chewer regards!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

I used anti-fatigue mats at first and had no problems with chewing. One thing I have noticed with the 3 dogs I have had is that after they reach 2 yrs old they stopped shredding their pads. I know have Avery crates pads on top of the mats and my dogs haven't even tried to chew them. They also love their beds in the house and don't chew on them either. Before they were 2 I couldn't keep a pad or bed more than a couple of days.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    I put these mats in my trailer for my dogs, they are great. A bit heavy to work with until you get them cut to size. They have a strong rubber smell to them new, but if you let them set on your drive way for a few days, that goes away. My dogs do not chew them, they are easy to clean, etc. Only $40 for one that will cut around 3 mats. You can find them at any Farm & Home store.
    I use the washing stall mats, cut to size. The rubber smell is really bad at first but it does go away. I don't have a big chewer but have one that will claw and while he would destroy Nats Mats, he has yet to be able to do anything to these. Get the thick ones--3/4 " I think mine are.

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    The horse stall mat I got lasted about 2 months before the chewing and clawing continued. Small chunks of rubber mess everywhere!!

Heavy, heavy heavy chewer regards!
    Did you get the heavy 3/4" one from Fleet Farm? It must weigh over 20 pounds and if cut right I don't see how they can even come close to getting a grip on it. The clawing, well the only thing to stop that is an aluminum or stainless crate then or a concrete run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Number Seven View Post
    Did you get the heavy 3/4" one from Fleet Farm? It must weigh over 20 pounds and if cut right I don't see how they can even come close to getting a grip on it. The clawing, well the only thing to stop that is an aluminum or stainless crate then or a concrete run.
    oh I got the 3/4" thick one from Tractor Suppy alright. think it weighed closer to 50+ lbs. had water channels grooved on one side. but like Jim said this was when he was a pup to 1 year. the last year plus he's been in the plastic kennel with nothing else and no problems. I use to put a blanket over the wire kennel until he started pulling them through one hole and chewing the hell out of them. ha. crazy pup!! glad he's through that phase!

edit: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...?cm_vc=-10005#
    this is the one I got. wow "each mat weighs 100lbs."
    I had to "roll" this thing up to get into my car trunk.
    Last edited by Daniel J Simoens; 09-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Another option may be to give her something else to chew on ,like and antler or one of these Kongs, it dispenses dry food one kibble at a time

It keeps their minds busy while they are crated.

http://www.whitedogbone.com/Kong-Wob...Toy?redirect=1
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

My rule is that chewers get NO MATS, period! I have had the horse stall, anti fatigue mats, etc., shredded. When they learn to behave themselves, they get a nice Kong mat.

Thanks for all the input. I am not sure what I am going to try, she is sleeping in a wire crate in the kitchen and she is up at 4:15 daily (I usually get up at 5) and my wife thinks that if she has a pad or blanket that she may be more comfortable and sleep longer, but I think she is still a puppy! Thanks for all the ideas.