The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: controlled blinds > cold blinds

There is an excellant thread that discusses the difference between Lardy and Farmer approach to transitioning to cold blinds. I will look and see if I can find it.

Here it is:
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...on+cold+blinds

Evan I don't know where you fit in the transition process.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 09-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    This makes me wonder what specific "Basics" you've done to prepare him? What steps of progression did you follow?

Evan
    Pro for four weeks.

• Program A (four weeks)
      Basic Obedience - Introduction to Gun Fire - Introduction to Birds, Upland Bird Work - Retrieves From Land and Water
    • Program B (eight to twelve weeks)
      All Items in Program A - Force Breaking - Steady to Shot - Retrieve through Decoys

pile work.
    Lining casting to pile
    Stick to pile
    Force to pile
    sit to pile
    Come in from pile

Finishing baseball
    Starting wagon wheel and introducing eight handed casting.

That has been my progression as today.
    Four straight passes for a JH title working to start SR tests in the spring
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    80+ percent adherence to stop/go/come and taking casts.

/Paul
    I think is a good indication that your dog is ready and even a higher percentage is better. Very responsive dog to your whistle and your casts. Skip the white buckets! JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Buckets are gone. As per Gun_Dog2002 I am close but not ready. This step to cold blinds is one step I do not want to screw up. Paul how much do you charge per hour.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    There is an excellant thread that discusses the difference between Lardy and Farmer approach to transitioning to cold blinds. I will look and see if I can find it.

Here it is:
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...on+cold+blinds

Evan I don't know where you fit in the transition process.

Hope this helps
    Nice thread, thanks for re posting.

If done properly, a cold blind in a simple short exercise, that will get the dog to the blind in a very confident manner....That is the goal. Praise at this point is so important. Gain their trust.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Controlled blind is baseball, Single T, Double T. All casting training leading up to cold blinds. In our training group we use the terminology controlled blind when visuals are used (white 5 gallon buckets) to help the dog gain confidence.
    Gotcha'.
    And not to "knock" the chosen nomenclature, but it does seem rather odd,or different Particularly "Baseball" where marks are actually thrown

Now when visual aids aren't used is that an- uncontrolled blind(?)
    (Just messin' with ya')
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    If done properly, a cold blind in a simple short exercise, that will get the dog to the blind in a very confident manner....That is the goal. Praise at this point is so important. Gain their trust.
    Yep. If you have adequate experience and savvy you can skip pattern blinds altogether without any ill effects. For newer trainers, and for some of us gray-hairs, PBs continue to serve us well. I don't spend long on them, but the time spent is valuable. Whoever you are, you need to know when their usefulness succumbs the law of diminishing returns.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I find doing blind drills a natural progression after the dog can line the three pattern blinds I use. That is why I like the PB field.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Controlled blind is baseball, Single T, Double T. All casting training leading up to cold blinds. In our training group we use the terminology controlled blind when visuals are used (white 5 gallon buckets) to help the dog gain confidence.
    I haven't used white buckets or traffic cones in 35 years of teaching blind work. Used to do it until saw a few dogs run to the big white sign at public grounds on more then one occasion. The problem most newer folks have is all the loose jargon with drills, whatchma call its, and various terminology floating around the country. The basics seem mostly the same for the various DVD's out there, the problem arises when basics ends and transition (buzz word) takes over. For some of us that have trained our share of retrievers, saw the good and bad, and are able to adapt no problem. I am teaching water blinds to a two year old now. Yes we have done all the buzz words, basics, swimbys, tune-ups,walkarounds, sight included. Water blinds are the most difficult concept to grasp for young dogs and since all my training is geared for All-age training, and we do run UKC and AKC hunt tests too. For the most part I have never trained for just hunt tests, but, have run hunt tests with all-age dogs. I do admit my knowledge is limited to training from bottom up to a Master or Finished? we have never trained just for those venues. Having said that I think many folks are getting confused in the transition process. This is my opinion, on higher level training for hunt tests. I don't believe it is necessary to train at a field trial level for water blinds, land blinds, or marks of great distance with various types of land or water contours. I believe many are getting confused and should be realistic on their venue goals. Perhaps at the grand Level and the master national Level some advanced work might be in order. For the weekend hunt tester though a good solid transition training level, at a field trial level might be in order. I sold a promising young derby dog a few years back to a very prominent hunt test pro. The field trial buyer backed out after the dog spent a month at a field trial pro's place. The excuse did not make sense and I think it was a personal thing with the potential buyer. Price was cut, gave a demo with the dog to the hunt test pro, he agreed to take the dog for a month to evaluate her. He had the dog for a few days and bought her. She was about ready for a qualifying. Judged the dog, ran against the dog in hunt tests, a few years later, and it was my opinion the dog never went much above the training she received from me. She finished I think about 3 or 4 master nationals maybe more haven't checked on the exact number. Maybe with all the training DVD's at higher levels is not needed, choose your realistic venue, get in a good training group that supports you and have fun without all the hoopla of what program are you in and just train your dog.
    Earl Dillow