RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

controlled blinds > cold blinds

7K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Criquetpas 
#1 ·
When transitioning from controlled blinds to cold blinds at what point in controlled blinds do you know it is time for cold blinds? What indicators do you look for that you have built the level of confidence to move on to cold blinds?

#23 ·
I think is a good indication that your dog is ready and even a higher percentage is better. Very responsive dog to your whistle and your casts. Skip the white buckets! JMO

#3 ·
What's a controlled blind?

Aren't dogs supposed to be under control on all blinds?

#7 ·
Controlled blind is baseball, Single T, Double T. All casting training leading up to cold blinds. In our training group we use the terminology controlled blind when visuals are used (white 5 gallon buckets) to help the dog gain confidence.

#12 ·
So in essence, "controlled blinds" as you reference them, are pre-identified and/or visibly marked destinations, correct? Like Howard, I don't use markers for my piles, but that's a side issue.

When to change? There is a reason why this period is called 'Transition'. If your dog is solid on FTP, and is going, fetching, and recalling reliably during PBs it's time to transition to simple cold blinds. I doing with BB Blinds, but that's another story. Is your dog moving with you from PB to PB, and performing all basic functions? If so, it's time.

Evan

#10 ·
Can't answer the question. I don't use visual markers to mark the piles in pile work.

#16 ·
Just to keep communication clear, that's just a T drill, not a blind. All it shares with a pattern blind is being built on a pre-identified destination. But it's a basic handling drill. Pattern blinds are just routes with no other drill features, unless you decide to use your pattern for diversion mark training later on. Real blinds are an unknown destination; a different proposition. Sounds like you need to hang in there on your PBs for another 3-5 days.

Evan

#18 ·
I know some will put the bumpers piled on each other as for a quick visual for the dog to spot when doing PB. I have just started this. First started with the buckets and I have to say it helped my dog. I know most do not do this but I did right or wrong. Won't be the first bad decision I have made along the way but with the help of good people here I am getting there. Thank you all for the great responses.

#19 ·
This makes me wonder what specific "Basics" you've done to prepare him? What steps of progression did you follow?

Evan

#20 · (Edited)
Hmm If I'm reading right, T to double-T to FTP etc. It seems your not ready for cold blinds (as in those without any marker) yet, Looks like you need to take your blind work out of the controlled T-field and start pattern & permanent blinds first, or proceed to water forcing (aka Water T), then add in Pattern, permanents, channels etc.

#21 · (Edited)
#25 ·
#28 ·
Yep. If you have adequate experience and savvy you can skip pattern blinds altogether without any ill effects. For newer trainers, and for some of us gray-hairs, PBs continue to serve us well. I don't spend long on them, but the time spent is valuable. Whoever you are, you need to know when their usefulness succumbs the law of diminishing returns.

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.