The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Puppy biting?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    38

    Default Puppy biting?

    Got a 10 week old ylm that has a biting problem. He is always biting me when he is playing. I have tried holding his mouth closed and smacking his snout and telling him "No bite". He knows what No Bite means as he stops when I tell him no bite, but comes right back with his mouth open and trying again. He thinks it is fun, but my right arm looks like I have been eaten alive.
    He is doing well with retrieving bumpers and sitting, but the biting and chewing is the problem. any answers?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,718

    Default

    When they bite hard enough to hurt, I always just put a lip under their teeth and squeeze til they yelp, then let go, they bite hard again repeat. Seems to teach them soft is better, some can be a bit stubborn, but they all seem to learn it.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

    GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
    Got a 10 week old ylm that has a biting problem. He is always biting me when he is playing. I have tried holding his mouth closed and smacking his snout and telling him "No bite". He knows what No Bite means as he stops when I tell him no bite, but comes right back with his mouth open and trying again. He thinks it is fun, but my right arm looks like I have been eaten alive.
    He is doing well with retrieving bumpers and sitting, but the biting and chewing is the problem. any answers?
    I do t believe he has a problem, he's just being a 10 wk old puppy. Have fun with the little bugger.
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

  4. #4
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Good cop - bad cop ?
    Okay, I'm good at being the bad cop!
    Huntemup is the good cop!..but his reply although correct, is not how you would do it!..cause you ain't huntemup?..
    Now, I would do it like Huntemup' but do it totally different to You!..
    ....
    You think the little dog understands 'no bite'!..but you don't (bad cop) !...He just stops cause you smacked his mouth?...This little critter comes and does the same again?...so he don't know 'No bite'?..He just knows 'Bite' , gets reward!?..Now reward to you or some folks may be a cookie or cuddle or a nice new pair of duds!..but this little fella has got a whole different outlook on what gives reward at his stage of development. (good cop)
    Lets be a bad ass bad cop!...Stop hitting the little fella and shut up!...when he puts his mouth and needle teeth to your arm ...It ain't a game! and it ain't playing!..He is doing what he naturally does!...NOW (BAD ASS MOTHER f**KER Bad cop)...Next time this pup bites like you say on the arm . You scream holly murder ! like all hell broke loose!..
    .....
    Good cop!......Did you get this pup when it was younger than 10 weeks old?....I'm done!
    ...
    Sorry folks , not my usual post ,but just about had it this week with training dogs!!!!, (good cop)
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tom. P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N/W Indiana
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Polmaise has it right!
    Ever watc h a bunch of puppies play and bite each other and sooner rather than later one of them will YIPE. Its a puppy signal stop that hurts dang it!
    So as Polmaise said let out a big YIPES!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member HuntinDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Good cop - bad cop ?
    Okay, I'm good at being the bad cop!
    Huntemup is the good cop!..but his reply although correct, is not how you would do it!..cause you ain't huntemup?..
    Now, I would do it like Huntemup' but do it totally different to You!..
    ....
    You think the little dog understands 'no bite'!..but you don't (bad cop) !...He just stops cause you smacked his mouth?...This little critter comes and does the same again?...so he don't know 'No bite'?..He just knows 'Bite' , gets reward!?..Now reward to you or some folks may be a cookie or cuddle or a nice new pair of duds!..but this little fella has got a whole different outlook on what gives reward at his stage of development. (good cop)
    Lets be a bad ass bad cop!...Stop hitting the little fella and shut up!...when he puts his mouth and needle teeth to your arm ...It ain't a game! and it ain't playing!..He is doing what he naturally does!...NOW (BAD ASS MOTHER f**KER Bad cop)...Next time this pup bites like you say on the arm . You scream holly murder ! like all hell broke loose!..
    .....
    Good cop!......Did you get this pup when it was younger than 10 weeks old?....I'm done!
    ...
    Sorry folks , not my usual post ,but just about had it this week with training dogs!!!!, (good cop)
    I'm having a little trouble following what you wrote. All I can gather is that you want him to scream really loud when his dog bites him. Don't you think that will just excite the dog? I do the lip pinch thing (press lip against canine tooth)...or if they grab my hand I'll just use that same hand to instantly grab hold of their lower jaw and hold on no matter what. They don't like that at all. Soon they don't want your hand inside their mouth.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

    "When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

    "You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wetumpka, AL
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Look at:

    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ghlight=biting

    and especially msg #8 for a "formal program" on how to deal with this.
    Eric

    WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

  8. #8
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    I'm having a little trouble following what you wrote. All I can gather is that you want him to scream really loud when his dog bites him. Don't you think that will just excite the dog? I do the lip pinch thing (press lip against canine tooth)...or if they grab my hand I'll just use that same hand to instantly grab hold of their lower jaw and hold on no matter what. They don't like that at all. Soon they don't want your hand inside their mouth.
    You know I Admire your posts HuntinDawg!!..
    But sooner or later that hand is gonna be taking things from that mouth?....and I kinda like them to let go when that happens
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kevin Eskam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pierce, Colorado
    Posts
    957

    Default

    If he Bites you and you dont like it then growl and bite him back on the muzzle and make him squeel alittle, it works best for me, there mom or other dog would do the same thing.....
    HRCH Rocky Mountain Rosco SH
    HRCH Satins Jumpin Jedi MH (500+points)
    HRCH 4X GMPR KB's Snakey Jake of Poudre River SH (500+points)
    HRCH APR Lady Satin of Black Forest JH
    HRCH MPR KB's It Showtime of Bearpoint (Star) JH
    HRCH KB's Loaded to go Allie SH
    HRCH APR KB's Blazin White Thunder (Blaze) SH
    SHR GMPR KBs Right To The Point Ike JH

  10. #10
    Senior Member CodyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Yeah I have a BLM (hes 6.5 months old now) and he was terrible about it. I mean he was down right painful. He tree'd my wife on the couch several times and she was afraid to get down because he would be after her. BUT, there is hope. Best I can tell you is every time he bites fold his lips under his teeth. When he applies pressure it hurts and he WILL stop. It takes a while to get the point across but it works. They also will grow out of that crap too. Mine doesn't do it anymore. Good luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •