Game cameras
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear

Thread: Game cameras

Default Game cameras

Thinking of buying a game camera, but I have no idea what brand camera speed etc. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have had great success (reliability) with Bushnell cameras. I gave up on Cuddebacks many years ago due to their unreliability. I haven't tried any other brands recently so I can't speak to any of the others. I have 4 bushnell cameras and would buy another if I needed one. Unless someone sold me on another brand...

I have 3 Wildgame Innovations cameras. For $60 each on sale at Dicks I could not be more pleased. They perform as advertised

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have used covert trail cams for about 6 years now ! I have 10 of them and have had really good luck the mp8 is a great camera for the price ! Although I recently got a exodus trail cam and it just might be the nicest cam I have had and the warranty is the best I have ever seen

I like Covert black flash cameras. I think the current ones are called the HD60. I also have some Stealth Cam black flash cameras. They have been fine but it stinks that they don't have a screen on which to view your pictures. When I put a camera in a new location I like to trigger it and then check the photo to see whether I have it aimed properly or not...can't do that very easily when there is no view screen. I tried carrying my DSLR but it wouldn't read the pics taken by the Stealth Cam for some reason. The other thing I don't like about the Stealth Cam is that if you are using a camera mount that screws in to the bottom of the camera you cannot replace the batteries without taking the camera off of the camera mount which means you have to also unlock the camera from your python cable if you use one for security and then you are unlikely to get the camera aimed back exactly as it was before.

When I am researching trail cameras there are 2 web sites I always check:

www.trailcampro.com

and

www.chasingame.com
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH UH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

I've been using Reconx cameras for years; couldn't be more pleased with their ease of use and incredible speed. They cost a bit more, but they have consistently been a technological leader in this market. http://www.reconyx.com/product/Outdoor_Series
    SpringHill's Prince Charles MH QAA

One of the biggest questions u need to ask is , what r the odds of it being stolen ,and can I afford the monetary loss. I have 7-10 cameras out in 3 or 4 different locations from August till November. On a good year I lose one to thieves on a bad year ..... Well u get the picture ��

U can pick up decent cameras on sale for $100 ish If u look around I get great pics and videos with the Brownings but I've seen good pics from a lot of different types

Steve
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    I like Covert black flash cameras. I think the current ones are called the HD60. I also have some Stealth Cam black flash cameras. They have been fine but it stinks that they don't have a screen on which to view your pictures. When I put a camera in a new location I like to trigger it and then check the photo to see whether I have it aimed properly or not...can't do that very easily when there is no view screen. I tried carrying my DSLR but it wouldn't read the pics taken by the Stealth Cam for some reason. The other thing I don't like about the Stealth Cam is that if you are using a camera mount that screws in to the bottom of the camera you cannot replace the batteries without taking the camera off of the camera mount which means you have to also unlock the camera from your python cable if you use one for security and then you are unlikely to get the camera aimed back exactly as it was before.
    After setting up your trail cam, lay your cell phone horizontally across the top of it at the same angle the TC is pointing and snap a picture to get an idea of what area the TC will be getting photos of.

I use moultrie for two main reasons. 1. I really like the 12v extended battery that can be hooked up and will go all season without changing out...even on full video. 2. Is if you us an iPad to pull pictures from the camera the format is the only one that I can find that you can simply. Pull the card and insert to a card reader on the iPad and it will download.

Hope it helps.