The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Blind/Cold Blind TRANSITION

To add some perspective, I think you'll find very few pros who are opposed to pattern blinds, even among those who don't run them. Kind of speaks well for them, doesn't it? Just don't lose track of knowing when it's time to move on from them.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

At a point when our dogs have enough basic skills we begin running what are commonly called “pattern blinds”; pre-identified, or visually marked destinations that are not marked falls.\

Evan do you pre-identify or visually mark on your pattern blinds if you do them?
    Last edited by yellow machine; 09-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I do run pattern blinds, and I pre-identify them with a tossed bumper into each pile the first time or two I run them, much like Paul described. I do not put visible markers at them at all. The piles are set with white bumpers, and are on open ground, so the dogs can see them as they approach. But if one of my dogs can't manage to return to a pre-identified pile without something white to run toward I've done a poor job of forcing, and will step back to finish the job.

For the record, that has never happened.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

― George Bernard Shaw

I have found this thread very imformative and has given me good perspective on how to proceed. Although our terminology on pattern blinds is different training methods are the same. I came across this you-tube video that I thought seemed like a good drill for starting out on PB. Maybe this is where I went wrong with the bucket thing is this guy a kook?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmKFI5CypkQ
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I wouldn't say he's a kook. He's doing a nice job with a very old, pretty out dated drill. "Baseball" has evolved, much like the rest of retriever training has over the past 3-4 decades. In most modern programs we begin teaching the 3 basic casts (Back, right Over, left Over) with a drill called "3-handed casting". It's done at very close range, and on a rope. Very simple, and easy for the dogs to succeed. It advances to Mini-T. There are variations on distance, but mine is the same as 3HC - again for simplicity. It advances from there to full scale land T work with a Back pile at 100 yards.

Single T

3-handed casting/Mini-T

Just so you know what I'm speaking of here. PM or email me and I'll link you to a video clip of these in action.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

Then, of course, there is Double T. This diagram isn't proportioned as I run it, but it's close.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

"Baseball" has evolved, much like the rest of retriever training has over the past 3-4 decades. In most modern programs we begin teaching the 3 basic casts (Back, right Over, left Over) with a drill called "3-handed casting".
    I'm old, I never evolved to calling it 3-handed casting. Same drill, different name.

I don't use buckets.

James Lamb Free regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I'm old, I never evolved to calling it 3-handed casting. Same drill, different name.
    kinda'.

Baseball; distances measured in yards, no rope.
    3-handed casting/Mini-T; distances measured in feet, rope.

Personal preferences, of course.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw

Would it make sence to go back to pattern
    Blinds to help your dog carry his line farther ?

You mean with a dog that has already transitioned to cold blinds? No, not really. There are better ways.

Evan

― George Bernard Shaw