The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: tick concern

Default tick concern

Had the dog up north last weekend and ended up finding a few ticks - got them all off . . . except one, the one I missed (only got the body) still seems to be under the skin, and is now a small lump - any suggestions from those of you who have had a similar issue . . . will it work itself out?

Take the dog to the vet and let them deal with it, I had one a while back on one of my dogs and it caused weakness in his hind quarters, really freaked me out during training when it looks like your dogs hind quarters are giving out. I was able to remove it but my vet put him on antibotics, he was fine in a day of removing it. But paralysis in the hind quarters is a effect from not removing the tick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by esoxhawk View Post
    Had the dog up north last weekend and ended up finding a few ticks - got them all off . . . except one, the one I missed (only got the body) still seems to be under the skin, and is now a small lump - any suggestions from those of you who have had a similar issue . . . will it work itself out?
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch the dog. If you found the ticks it tells me they were the types that don't carry lyme. No reason to get all worried.

It'll work itself out. Might be a small lump for awhile but chances are will not be a problem.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I've had many tick lumps on dogs over the years and never had a problem.

I've also decided over the years that there's one simple rule with these expensive dogs and our expensive hobby: When in doubt, go see the vet.

When in doubt, go see the vet!
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Since you know it is a tick bite, just watch it and the dog. Had a couple of very small lumps under the arm pit on my female Chessie about three years ago. I thought they were tick bites, but when they did not go away within 6 weeks, I had the vet check. They were mast cell tumors and cancerous. Vet removed them and she is fine, but you never know.

Watch the dog and see what happens... for every tick you find there is ones you certainly dont...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I've had many tick lumps on dogs over the years and never had a problem.

I've also decided over the years that there's one simple rule with these expensive dogs and our expensive hobby: When in doubt, go see the vet.

When in doubt, go see the vet!
    Chris, when are you going to get us a "like" button already!???? If facebook can do it, you should be able to lol
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chris atkinson View Post
    i've had many tick lumps on dogs over the years and never had a problem.

when in doubt, go see the vet!
    like>>>>>>
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH