The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now is gun shy

First, kick your brother's @ss. If you can't do that, slash his tires so he knows how much time and effort he's just cost you. Kidding. Where are you located?
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

Quote Originally Posted by Socks View Post
    First, kick your brother's @ss. If you can't do that, slash his tires so he knows how much time and effort he's just cost you. Kidding. Where are you located?
    Do you think the brother or maybe the op are old enough to drive?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    since no one knows the severity of this,,, PUT ALL GuN FIRE AWAY for a while
    Get him pumped on bumpers or birds,,it doesn't matter for now,,,just keep the dam gun fire away from him ,I don't care if its a pea shooter,,, NO gun fire period.
    he need's to get as frenzied as he can when he see's a prey object. You can add the obedience in when you read its time to. But not before he is running hard with poppers at a good distance. Then blend every thing in when he pumps up with gun fire and birds or bumpers
    Pete
    Good advice !!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Yep my thoughts exactly.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    since no one knows the severity of this,,, PUT ALL GuN FIRE AWAY for a while
    Get him pumped on bumpers or birds,,it doesn't matter for now,,,just keep the dam gun fire away from him ,I don't care if its a pea shooter,,, NO gun fire period.
    he need's to get as frenzied as he can when he see's a prey object. You can add the obedience in when you read its time to. But not before he is running hard with poppers at a good distance. Then blend every thing in when he pumps up with gun fire and birds or bumpers
    Pete
    This ^^^^^!!
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

I have had success helping 3 extremely gun shy dogs by reapplying shots in a different manner, every time u feed back off 50fy shoot low grade noise like just a 209 primer if he acts nervous stay at that distance,when the dog acts comfortable from the distance move up 10 ft till u work rite on him. May take a whole month to be nx to the kennel.

What Pete said.

No guns, not for quite awhile. You need to completely take his mind away from guns altogether for now. Get him so bird crazy he can't stand it, for a few weeks...and this means three or four times a week, not just once on the weekend. And nothing...repeat nothing...he does when chasing birds is wrong or bad...just let him party.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    That's what I was thinking.. Or maybe something else....
    Princess Darla of Nottingham MH ***
    Copper's Darlin' Rascal "Spanky" ***
    Spanky's Darlin Rascal "Wheezy"

Yellow dogs rule the world!

To be honest something doesn't add up. If the dog was used to gun fire how did a fire work screw it all up.
    Not to be an ass, it sounds to me like you fired a gun off to close and now you have a problem.
    If I'm wrong, sell your brother for a decent price and send the pup to a pro.
    Win Win.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    To be honest something doesn't add up. If the dog was used to gun fire how did a fire work screw it all up. .......
    seen it happen with a hunting Dawg with many hunts under her belt, totaly spooked by a bottle rocket. it is not just the bang it is the twirly bouncy sparks. I hate stupid people with fireworks.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin