The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now is gun shy

http://www.gundogsupply.com/mavocatrsy.html

Buy it and follow the program to a T. It definitely works as long as you don't rush the process.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    To be honest something doesn't add up. If the dog was used to gun fire how did a fire work screw it all up.
    Not to be an ass, it sounds to me like you fired a gun off to close and now you have a problem.
    If I'm wrong, sell your brother for a decent price and send the pup to a pro.
    Win Win.

How does it not add up? Let me shoot a firework at your face and see how you react.

Yes he's a full grown man. He knew better.
    As a puppy, he sat in my girlfriends lap with pistols being shot and didn't flinch. After the firework incident, I had to Go out of town for work, so I didn't get to correct it right away. Now he flinches at a BB guns sound

Get you some live birds and let his prey drive go on overload for a while. Let him have fun an don't shot anything for a couple of weeks. I have worked with 3 gun shy dogs two of them were fixed in 4 weeks the third took a lot longer. The basics, let your dog retrieve the live birds and get really excited. Start several hundred yards away and slowly work your way back towards the dog while he is retrieving. Your going to need a helper, move closer each day don't rush it and take your time. It has worked well for me good luck with whatever method you choose but take it slow whatever you do