The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: The CR battleground

  1. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Carrollton GA
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Seriously?
    Yep seriously!! I have zero respect for people that hide behind a keyboard.
    Brandon Edmondson

  2. #92
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Again, you know not of what you write! I dare you to point out one item in the Libertarian platform that isn't a Traditional Conservative stance. lp.org is where to find the Party's platform. I know the real agenda behind the Teas is not spending or big government, it is abortion. They have proven that over and over with their proposed legislation. Traditional Conservatives have always support Choice. It wasn't until the Christian Right took over the GOP during the Reagan years that the so-called new Conservatives wanted to install their beliefs over everyone else! Traditional Conservative do not pretend to know what is best for everyone. However, we do know that government intrusion and spend are out of control!
    Swampcollielover, read this. It is a bit long, but you should be able to get thru it, not a lot of big words.

    > Crossing the spectrum

    5 myths about libertarianism


    By Nick Gillespie


    The specter of libertarianism is haunting America. Advocates of sharply reducing the government’s size, scope and spending are raising big bucks from GOP donors, trying to steal the mantle of populism, being blamed for the demise of Detroit and even getting caught in the middle of a battle for the Republican Party. Yet libertarians are among the most misunderstood forces in today’s politics. Let’s clear up some of the biggest misconceptions.

    1. Libertarians are a fringe band of “hippies of the right.”


    In 1971, the controversial and influential author Ayn Rand denounced right-wing anarchists as “hippies of the right,” a charge still leveled against libertarians, who push for a minimal state and maximal individual freedom.

    Libertarians are often dismissed as a mutant subspecies of conservatives: pot smokers who are soft on defense and support marriage equality. But depending on their views, libertarians often match up equally well with right- and left-wingers.

    The earliest example of libertarian principles in partisan politics might have come in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when Anti-Imperialist League Democrats rejected empire and war — and believed in free trade and racial equality at a time when none of that was popular. More recently, civil libertarians such as Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., supported Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., in his filibuster on domestic drones and government surveillance.

    Libertarians are found across the political spectrum and in both major parties. In September 2012, the Reason-Rupe Poll found that about one-quarter of Americans fall into the roughly libertarian category of wanting to reduce the government’s roles in economic and social affairs. That’s in the same ballpark as what other surveys have found and more than enough to swing an election.

    2. Libertarians don’t care about minorities or the poor.

    As the recent discovery of neo-Confederate writings by a former senior aide to Sen. Paul shows, there sometimes is a connection between libertarians and creepy, racist elements in American politics. And given the influence of Ayn Rand among many libertarians, it’s easy to think that they care only about themselves. “I will never live for the sake of another man,” runs a characteristic line from Rand’s 1957 novel, “ Atlas Shrugged.”

    But at least two of the libertarian movement’s signature causes, school choice and drug legalization, are aimed at creating a better life for poor people, who disproportionately are also minorities. The primary goal of school choice — a movement essentially born out of a 1955 essay about vouchers by libertarian and Nobel Prize-winning economist Milton Friedman — is to give lower-income Americans better educational options. Friedman also persuasively argued that the drug war concentrates violence and law enforcement abuses in poor neighborhoods.

    Libertarians believe that economic deregulation helps the poor because it ultimately reduces costs and barriers to start new businesses. The leading libertarian public-interest law firm, the Institute for Justice, which has argued Supreme Court cases for free speech and against eminent-domain abuse, got its start defending African American hairbraiders in Washington from licensing laws that shut down home businesses.

    3. Libertarianism is a boys’ club.

    While the stereotype of a libertarian as a male engineer sporting a plastic pocket protector and a slide rule once had more truth to it than most libertarians would care to admit, the movement is in many ways the creation of three female intellectuals.

    As Brian Doherty details in his 2008 book, “Radicals for Capitalism,” the modern libertarian movement was hugely influenced by best-selling novelist and writer Rand; writer and critic Isabel Paterson; and author Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of “Little House on the Prairie” author Laura Ingalls Wilder, whose work she edited. The first national ticket for the Libertarian Party, in 1972, had a woman, Toni Nathan, as its vice-presidential candidate, and from its inception, the party has supported reproductive rights and full equality under the law for women.

    Newer groups such as the Ladies of Liberty Alliance are growing by emphasizing the benefits of economic freedom to an expanding class of female entrepreneurs.

    4. Libertarians are pro-drug, pro-abortion and anti-religion.

    Charges of libertinism are, alas, exaggerated. Virtually all libertarians believe that the prohibition of any consensual activity breeds far more problems than it solves. But a key tenet is that just because something is legal doesn’t mean you have to endorse, much less practice, it. Ron Paul drew laughs during a GOP presidential primary debate in 2011 when he asked audience members if they would try heroin if it were legal.

    About 30 percent of libertarians — including many libertarian-minded politicians such as Rep. Justin Amash, R-Mich., — are staunchly pro-life. But most believe that the best way to change behavior is through moral suasion, not versions of prohibition that don’t work.

    The same goes for religion: It should be free and celebrated as long as participation is voluntary. After all, proto-libertarian Roger Williams co-founded the first Baptist congregation in America and created Providence, R.I., as a haven of religious tolerance and fully secular government at a time when that was unheard of.

    5. Libertarians are destroying the Republican Party.

    In 1975, Ronald Reagan saw a kinship between libertarians and his party: “If you analyze it, I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism,” he said.

    There seems to be little sense of a shared soul now, though, as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says things such as: “This strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought.” Christie was referring primarily to Rand Paul, a potential rival for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., has attacked Paul, Amash and other critics of the surveillance state as “wacko birds,” and defenders of the GOP establishment are worried about the party’s growing libertarian streak. Yet Republicans acknowledged the need for a major reboot after the 2012 election, and that’s precisely what libertarian-leaning politicians are offering. Paul has proposed a budget that cuts about $500 billion in annual spending, and he has called for reform of unsustainable entitlements and an end to overseas military adventurism. What’s been dubbed his “hipster outreach program” is an attempt to appeal to a wider slice of voters than middle-class whites. Republicans “need to be white, we need to be brown, we need to be black, we need to be with tattoos, without tattoos, with ponytails, without ponytails, with beards, without,” he told a New Hampshire audience in May.

    That’s a message that might rankle stand-pat Republicans but is likely to appeal to younger voters who, according to a recent College Republican National Committee study, want government to be smaller and more inclusive.

    Nick Gillespie, the editor of Reason. com and a columnist for the Daily Beast, is a co- author of “ The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What’s Wrong With America.” He wrote this column for the Washington Post.

    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  3. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoned View Post
    Yea ok whatever! This coming from a person that hides behind a screen name.. Hey MsGundog GROW A PAIR!!! Until you tell me your name, nothing you say means $hit!!!! Typical Lib
    Typical lib, no sense of humor, panties in a bunch.

  4. #94
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,656

    Default

    Good post Golddogs! My long gone Holway Barty sired male would be proud. The Libertarian movement on campus now exceeds those of both the Dems and Repubs http://www.umich.edu/~colllib/ Much of that has to do with their passion for politics and the fact that they are Fiscally Conservative and Socially tolerant. They can't identify with today's Dem & Repub Parties. The article you posted also covers the fact that the Libertarian Party is experiencing major growth both on campus and by disenfranchised Repubs & Dems. Not all Dems are Socialist and many want to protect their freedom too. Unlike the Repubs and the Dems, we are the ONLY political party that supports Gun Rights to the point that we don't think any law abiding citizen shouldn be restricted by any gun laws. We are the ONLY party to champion a Balanced Budget Amendment. And, we are the only party willing to cut the size of the Fed Government. In just four short years, since the rebirth of the party, we now have 8-9 candidates running for Governorships, dozens running for Senate and House seats and countless candidates running for state offices! We ARE the party of growth and the most prepared to champion our ideals for the future.
    Last edited by Franco; 10-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    How could you vote for that Liberal!
    I voted for the better of the two candidates that I thought had a chance to win, however I do understand why you chose to vote the way you did, and I respect your convictions.

  6. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Carrollton GA
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Typical lib, no sense of humor, panties in a bunch.
    Let's just agree to disagree, because this is going nowhere. Plus I'm not going to get in a argument with someone that hides behind a keyboard. I have no idea if you are a 10 year old kid, or what. It's kind of hard to take someone serious that isn't a big enough person to stand behind what they say, just sayin...
    Brandon Edmondson

  7. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoned View Post
    Let's just agree to disagree, because this is going nowhere. Plus I'm not going to get in a argument with someone that hides behind a keyboard. I have no idea if you are a 10 year old kid, or what. It's kind of hard to take someone serious that isn't a big enough person to stand behind what they say, just sayin...
    That sounds fantastic, I find it hard to have a serious conversation with someone who lies and calls names when they are wrong.

  8. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Carrollton GA
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    That sounds fantastic, I find it hard to have a serious conversation with someone who lies and calls names when they are wrong.
    Lies? I called you a name when you kept avoiding being a man and standing behind what you said by telling me your name. Guess the truth hurts, because I'm sure that isn't the first time you've heard that...
    Brandon Edmondson

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoned View Post
    Lies? I called you a name when you kept avoiding being a man and standing behind what you said by telling me your name. Guess the truth hurts, because I'm sure that isn't the first time you've heard that...
    I understand that you are unable to defend your post and have to resort to name calling, typical Lib.

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Carrollton GA
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I understand that you are unable to defend your post and have to resort to name calling, typical Lib.
    I will defend what I said from now on. Obama and the Dem's are anti gun, if you don't believe that you really do have your head buried in the sand. If you are calling me a lib that might be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
    Brandon Edmondson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •