RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Putting my girl to sleep.

8K views 47 replies 45 participants last post by  Chuck Ward 
#1 ·
We'll the inevitable time has come. After 13 + years of companionship we have decided to put her to sleep tomorrow. Her cancer has metastasized and spread to her lungs. It's not an easy choice but it has to be done before she becomes more miserable.

#3 ·
I have sympathy for you, it's always a tough to make the decision, but quality of life is important.

#5 ·
I'm sorry it has come to this. It is a tough deal for sure. I hate cancer. I hope she goes peacefully. Remember the good times.

#8 ·
So sorry. There is no cancer in Heaven.

#14 ·
I am so sorry for you and your family. I don't know what the quote means, but if you have the strength be with her and hold her and tell her what a great girl she is. I have done that twice and as I look back, I am glad I was there holding them. God bless and always look back at the memories. My girl is only 4 and my wife and kids are so worried about how I will take it again some day. I spend so much time with her that we have a special bond. We are going out tomorrow for the opening day of waterfowl season and I will cherish it even more as I think about what you are going through. Good luck.

#11 ·
Prayers for you and the family. I have been where you are. Like others said - remember the good times.

#15 ·
Am sorry to hear it. Best wishes. Despite the well meant condolences on my last pup from friends and family - the single biggest comfort was my vet putting the dog down after closing, outside,sitting together in the grass. Just wanted to mention it. It's hard enough as it is, it did make a difference for us both.

#18 ·
The greatest love we can show is to let them go with dignity and peacefully. It's not an easy decision, but you are showing the love you have by thinking of her first and foremost. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

#21 ·
Prayers and sympathy to you & your family and all who love her. I wish they'd all go quietly and peacefully at home in their sleep but, the reality is most often, we have to make "the decision" and although it may not feel like it, doing so is really the final kindness we can give them.

#23 ·
This place needs an unlike button for times like this.

I'm so sorry for you and your family. This is the hardest thing about having dogs, they just don't live long enough.

#25 ·
It's tough to let them go.
This is a place that understands your pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.