The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare ... the Unintended Consequences

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/09/he...it_th_20131109
    Since O-care penalized states that did not expand Medicaid, but which provision was later not upheld by SCOTUS, those states who have not expanded Medicaid still have a penalty: the law also removed subsidies to hospitals providing indigent care.

In theory those hospitals would no longer need those subsidies since O-care would mean that ALL patients would have either Medicaid or O-care insurance. However, the hospitals might still suffer since the payment scale for both those options is lower than what they get from private insurance. (which is why Medicaid patients are not being accepted by some doctors already)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...re_tunnel.html
    Hadn't thought about this aspect of billing and collecting premiums.

If I had to do something quickly, I'd probably do what our local utility companies have done in the past: use local bank branches to collect the money. Might even be able to use post office in that capacity.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

“The president’s right and his team is right about this: this [website] isn’t the fundamental issue at stake here,” Capretta said.

“Essentially trying to force a lot of people into products that they don’t want, that still remains the most fundamental problem. And I don’t think that they’re going to be able to solve that—ever,” Capretta said.
    “I think the country needs a more flexible, consumer driven, decentralized approach to this, not trying to centralize all decision-making in HHS,” Capretta said.

Under Capretta’s proposal, the government gives each person a fixed amount of money to help them buy insurance, leaving people free to buy the insurance they want. Various Republican reform proposals, including the one from Paul Ryan several years ago, have adopted this approach.
    The administration will say the website is up and running by their self-imposed deadline at the end of November, even if it is working poorly, Capretta predicted. They will limp through the first year and then likely revamp the website for year two.

This botched but functioning rollout will leave Obamacare vulnerable politically, Capretta predicted. The midterm congressional campaigns will be at full speed right as enrollment opens again for the second year.
    “The payers”—those people losing their insurance plans, paying more because of the higher taxes and Medicare reductions, filling out more paperwork for their small businesses—“exceed the people that are benefitting from this by a substantial margin.”

His predictions have been right before.
    http://freebeacon.com/the-man-who-called-it-right/

I'm not as certain of his electoral predictions simply because of what some of the confirmed "progressives" still refuse to concede. The couple in San Francisco that saw substantial increases, still thought that O-care was a good thing ... and their solution would be to reduce their income by a bit so they could qualify for a subsidy!

It appears that the irony of the subsidy is that they could get a substantial subsidy by decreasing their household income below the $62,000 ceiling. They earned just above that amount. By getting just a tiny bit below that ceiling, they could collect a $5000 subsidy. How many tax payers will be converted to tax takers based on this law?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Obama is a joke, the only thing he has successfully done is run this country into the ground!!

I just ran 62000 for a couple thru the BCBSNC website. 299.59 per month subsidy. 62100 no subsidy.
    This is a disaster. What happens when income is estimated off by just a little. By law that money is due back to the taxpayers. This is a dangerous game for the self employed whose income can vary by a lot more than a hundred bucks simply by recieving a payment the last week of Dec vs the first week of Jan.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

This is from the Free Beacon, but based on a Fox reporter ... the most popular part of O-care was for pre-existing conditions, but even that is not quite working out as planned, since O-care eliminated the high risk pools that some of these people were using before ...
    BILL HEMMER: Itís not just individual policies too being cancelled, high risk pools for people with preexisting conditions, those are gone as well. But how and why? Jim Angle has that, Angle now in Washington. Jim, what is up?

JIM ANGLE: Good to see you, aside from all of the cancellations of the individual policies you were talking about, another part of Obamacare has received little attention. It also results in the cancellation of high- risk pools all over the country aimed at helping those with preexisting conditions who find it difficult to get insurance, listen.

EXPERT: All of those people in the highway- risk pools will be shifted over to health insurance and thatís going to raise the premiums for everyone.

Now, but it was supposed to reduce rates for those with health problems such as Vicki Heidet, a breast cancer survivor and her husband Jeff. In they high risk pool they had been paying $813 a month for premiums with a deductible $5200 each. When they got a letter canceling that high risk policy, they expected to get lower rates and were stunned when they found out they were going up instead.

JEFF HAIDET: We were a little shocked to see that one come back at even a higher rate than what our high risk insurance pool was. That rate came back at $950 a month for the policy which had higher deductibles than what we had in the high risk pool.

ANGLE: Thatís because it covered all of the additional required benefits of Obamacare such as maternity care even for those too old to have children. Once the government allowed people to shop for plans on the website before enrolling, the Haidets were amazed to see that rates appeared to cost half as much. But the insurance company said those were only sample actual rates, that actual rates are based on oneís age, zip code and county and state and other matters. But government officials and the website also note they are only sample rates, but Jeff is miffed.

HAIDET: You are going to be shocked. The casual browser is going to see so these low rates which is very misleading.

ANGLE: The bottom line is that even some the people Obamacare was supposed to help most may be paying even more than before.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

There is a huge missing part of the high risk pool. The UNAFFORDABLE care act established these TEMP high risk pools that were heavily funded with federal tax dollars. This was a temporary until they could force everyone out of their medically rated private policies where the healthy had good rates. So now rather than federal tax dollars subsidizing her, the healthy are getting their rates sent thru the roof to subsidise her. I saw the interview. They happen to be in NC.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

As we continue to find out what's in the law:
    It turns out under Obamacare an insurance company may not refuse to cover someone who is HIV positive but they can make them pay for their own costly prescription drugs. The issue applies to many of the chronically ill that Obamacare was supposed to help.

As the details of the benefits offered by the new health-care plans become clear, patients with cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune diseases also are raising concerns, said Marc Boutin, executive vice president of the National Health Council, a coalition of advocacy groups for the chronically ill.

"The easiest way [for insurers] to identify a core group of people that is going to cost you a lot of money is to look at the medicines they need and the easiest way to make your plan less appealing is to put limitations on these products," Boutin said.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Another interesting "feature" of O-care that doesn't work quite right:
    The health insurers across the nation who are canceling health insurance policies based on a posting in the Federal Register in June of 2010 which redefined the 'grandfathered clause' in the original PPACA (Obamacare) legislation are violating federal law. Specifically section 2742 of Public Law 104-191 (HIPAA). It is linked at my blog: TruthAboutPreexistingConditions.com.

This is an existing federal law that is still on the books and that is relied upon, expanded upon, and referred to multiple times throughout the 960 pages of the PPACA legislation. This law was codified by congress and signed by President Clinton in 1997. Since that was signed into law it has been and still is illegal for any health insurer to cancel anyone's coverage when they are sick. Regardless of what Barack Obama or anyone else says. It has been and still is illegal for any health insurance anywhere in the nation to 'drop your coverage' when you get sick. Period. And, when I say period I mean it, unlike Barack Obama.

This is the law that I used to help Bill Elliott (the man with cancer who appeared on Megyn Kelly's show who had his health insurance canceled during cancer treatment) get his health insurance policy restored with no deductible or premium increase. Bill was even assured by his insurer that he will be able to keep his policy going forward permanently.

HHS is violating this existing federal law by requiring health insurers to cancel these existing policies based on a random posting by HHS in the Federal Register in June of 2010. A posting in the Federal Register does not trump existing federal law, most especially HIPPA, that is relied upon, expanded upon, and referred to in the PPACA. By faxing section 2742 of public law 104-191 over to his insurer (with the help of South Carolina governor Nikki Haley) Bill was able to retain his policy even after it was illegally canceled by his insurer.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2nDRNnkP4
    As I read this, HIPPA, which is mentioned repeatedly in the O-care law, says that an insurance company canNOT cancel a policy on anyone who has become sick (I'd presume that is as long as the insured continues to pay their premiums).

So any sick person who had his policy cancelled because of O-care, can be reinstated, in accordance with the conditions of their existing policy. THAT is one heckuva blooper for both Sebelius, HHS and the insurance companies. Also, it would appear, that Ezekiel Emanuel was overlooking this existing law as well.

If any on the Forum know of someone who was cancelled when already afflicted with a chronic disease, this would be of great help to them to know this, and demand to keep their existing coverage.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com

If you're interested:

Congressional Testimony
    Impact on Patients with High Cost Care

Watch Neurologist Dr. Jeffrey English testify on live stream from the Rayburn House Office Building in Washington tomorrow (Dec 12) at 9:30 am est.

Years of "Charging the Hill" by volunteer physicians making House Calls on Congress are paying off. The House's Committee on Oversight & Government Reform is holding a hearing entitled "ObamaCare’s Impact on Premiums and Provider Networks".

The myriad problems ObamaCare is creating have just begun and Dr. English, President of our Georgia State Chapter, will testify to the damage being done to patients with ongoing and expensive medical care.

Tune in: http://oversight.house.gov/hearings/
    Time: Dec 12, 2013 at 9:30 am est.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com